need opinion for my final year project

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by skuarenix7, Sep 9, 2013.

1. skuarenix7

skuarenix7 Junior Member

hi.. currently Im final year student studying in Bsc naval architecture
    I have some ideas for my final year project but need opinion from member of this forum

my ideas are to design and create anti pirate sytem for vessel. basically i will design mini autonomous platform that can be self propelled with a similar size like ROV. This platform is attach to the tanker or containership and have the ability to detect pirate by using sensor and camera. I also planning to use solar and sea wave as the main power to operate the platform

Can anyone give me thoughts or ideas regarding on my project :confused:

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If you get a device, powered by solar energy that reaches the speed and have the autonomy to pursue pirate boats, sure you will, a couple of Nobel laureates. Good luck.
    By the way, all detection devices, sensors and more, in the mother ship are more effective.
    Perhaps a satellite surveillance would be more effective and is already invented.

3. skuarenix7

skuarenix7 Junior Member

actually the platform only detect the pirate to alert the ship crew only for safety purpose. not to pursue the pirate boat. thank you for your advice

4. skuarenix7

skuarenix7 Junior Member

How about the research about the y bow and x bow for larger vessel like bulk carrier or tanker in term of economies of scale. Is it worth to do research about that particular scope?

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

That kind of bows greatly reduces the cargo space. They are not suitable for containers nor tankers.

6. skuarenix7

skuarenix7 Junior Member

Actually Im running out of ideas for my fyp. Basically if i dont have my own title then lecturer will suggest me their titles. But I will try my best to find my own. If i want to do research about dynamic positioning. Can u suggest what is the criteria that I need to consider to improve the stability. AFAIK the latest DP technology is DP3 right?
    TQ for your opinion.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You are wondering why it is said that a boat is stable and that is a very interesting question that I do not know how to respond.
    A boat must meet certain stability criteria. But if we have two boats of the same type, which must meet the same set of criteria, and they do, which of the two boats is the most stable?. I do not Know.
    Maybe your project can consist of how to establish varemos, to catalog the ships in terms of stability :?::?:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.