Need lesson or pointers on selecting and installing new rivets

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by 85 starcraft, Jan 15, 2007.

1. 85 starcraft

85 starcraft Junior Member

Hi all. As the moniker implies, a friend and are restoring a neglected 1985 Seacraft 21 foot "all-aluminum"-hulled boat (115 Envirude outboard). We are getting ready to replace the transom plywood, which is clad by several pieces of aluminum sheet and aluminum molding, much of which will have to come off and then be reinstalled.

Some of the aluminum panels are fastened by bolts and screws [where attached to or through the plywood] but much of the aluminum is riveted together where two aluminum panels overlap metal to metal [ i.e., in the motor well itself].

I can get rivets OUT ok without expanding the size of the holes, but have absolutely no experience installing new rivets and no idea as to what kind of rivets or rivet gun to buy. The existing rivets all look like aircraft rivets to me : aluminum, very broad low profile heads, very tightly in there. I don't know if they were sealed via caulk ( or something ) when originally installed.

I have thought of using SS bolts, washers and nuts to replace these rivets, but am having no luck finding any that won't create the electrical action that causes corrosion. Suppose we could use Stainless with nylon washers on both sides, but even then we will probably get some electrical action.

I welcome any and all advice, tips, links to "how-to-rivet primers", suppliers, etc.

Thanks!

Carl

2. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

There are two good documents on the web that describe how to rivet aluminium properly. One is the US military manual on how to rivet missiles and rockets -

http://rvimg.com/MIL-R-47196A_MI.pdf

which could be of use, certainly a good standard - see also the link below:

http://www.rvproject.com/rivets.html

I imagine the equipment can be bought from the on-line from these dIY light aircraft/experimental aircraft people.

I hope this helps.

3. 85 starcraft

85 starcraft Junior Member

Thanks Mark.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.