Need laminate schedule info please

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sangerfan76, Jan 21, 2012.

1. sangerfan76

sangerfan76 Junior Member

I have a high speed 1/4 mile 3 poi t hydro mold. I bought it however I could not have the layup schedule. The boats are 19 feet long and weight of about 5-600 lb. hulls are approx 3/16 thick. And help would be great

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Whoa !!
    the laminate schedule on a high speed craft would be highly detailed. Be careful with FREE advice.

3. sangerfan76

how or who would i talk to . not really looking for free would buy it if i knew where to turn

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Any of the naval architects on this forum can help you.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Get hold of one of forum members whose screen name is Jimboat. You can PM him. Jim is an authority on super go fast boats. He has written several books on the subject and is generally regarded as the go to guy.

6. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The only sure way is to cut cupons. However, that is not an assurance that the laminate will be homogenous.

8. sangerfan76

Boat builders in this market don't release their laminate schedules because it's like a huge secret . The guy passed away that owned my mold. I bought it because it's the latest version and only pickle fork hydro mold like it. Hasn't been splashed yet

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Any reasonable designer or experienced builder, familiar with the type can develop a schedule for you, for not a lot of money. This said, if you want a class winning entry, you're best advised to have the whole shooting match, reviewed professionally and an ideal schedule arranged as practical, within the budget and resources. To be a class winner, you need all the material in the right places and just enough so you don't break, all the while not being overly heavy. This balancing act can be tedious and all but imposable for a novice, particularly using one of the on line or off the shelf scantling recommendations. For example, you could use Geer's scantling rules, but you'll be heavy and stout for the class. The boat will last and be tough, but slower then most every other. Decide what you want of the boat and establish a SOR with a professional or well experienced builder. This will get you close for little money. If you want to win constantly, then you'll have to spend the time, effort and of course the money.

10. Cawley

Cawley Junior Member

Well since no one will even give you an idea on where to start, I will throw out a starting point. Some may consider this to be pretty thin. But you said you were building a hydro... This is just my opinion. There are many different ways to skin a cat.......

Gel
    Skin 1.5 oz mat
    2 layers 1208 with one extra layer on all running surfaces. All layers to be overlapped.
    Extra layers in hard corners.. Maybe some exotic fabrics (Aramid) in high stress areas... Core in the flat panels, running pads , and deck. Al done with VE resin. If using poly, I would consider using 1708. Squeegy out all the excess resin and use peal ply in areas where it has trouble laying down. Very basic info here, but I hope it helps you.

1 person likes this.

11. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

I may be able to steer you in the right direction, sangerfan76.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.