Need insurance quote. Bow ripped off by whale.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DennisRB, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thing is what is there on a whale to get cought up in,--its just a big fish with round edges. Unless it got the chain in its mouth and they dont do that.

A manta will also pull it around like it was pulled by a submarine.

Just saying, I was'nt there an all that.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

We've had a number of submarine strikes here unfortunately. They don't tend to stick around and be accountable though. I had a friend in high school who was training solo one night for racing and she hit what she thought must have been a whale accept for one thing, all the sparks!

3. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Frosty. The same thing entered my mind. What part of a whale could get caught? Shouldn't the shape lend itself well to not getting tangled? But closer inspection of the shape of a Humpback whales pectoral fins reveals curvature towards the body at the base where a rope could easily get stuck.

[​IMG]

Given the circumstances I still think the whale is by far the best explanation given the frequency of whale sightings in the mooring field. Niue has some of the clearest water in the world. No mantas or subs were spotted :p