Need input on boat flooring (trex)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pdp29, Mar 16, 2010.

1. pdp29

pdp29 New Member

I am redoing my boat floor in a 16ft deep hull aluminum boat 75horse for motor and i have access to a bunch of left over trex decking and I am wondering if this would be too heavy to do the whole floor in. Looking at like 55 sq ft give or take 10 sq ft. The boat is in storage and i dont have exact measurements of the floor. And i dont know the weight capacity off hand. So any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the lack of information, I will get better details in a few days when i go get it outa storage.
    Thanks Peter

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. pdp29

pdp29 New Member

I did the math it would add about 300lbs +/- 50

3. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

That's roughly 10 or 11 10' 5/4 x 6 boards. That stuff is pretty heavy, you wouldn't want to carry 10 boards at a time.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

that stuff expands and contracts a lot and with a vengeance
    it also has no structural strength so your deck carlins and such will need to be on 16 centers unless you want it all wavy in just a few years
    I greatly prefer TimberTek to Trex for home decking but its a bit more expensive

also it has had issues of disintegration in the past
    I guess they had some bad batches or something

not sure I would use it for a boat though
    that weight is an issue and it does get heavier when its wet
    regardless of what the manufacturer tells you

cheers
    B

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

In addition to all of the above, if it is composite, it will eventually mold in a wet environment. If it is 100% PVC, then mold won't be an issue. If you don't know what it is made of, then it is composite.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

trex is a composite

7. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

I believe the new Trex Escapes line is PVC, as opposed to most of their other lines of product. The older Trex stuff had a LOT of problems that got them into trouble, class-action lawsuits, etc. It is my understanding that Trex has a new CEO and they are now making some decent products. I would still personally lean toward TimberTech and their XLM (PVC) line.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

agreed

9. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I much prefer ipe or similar woods.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I find that the domestic hardwoods make a perfectly beautiful deck and some like white oak are simply bomb proof

for my own boat deck Ill likely use black walnut
    its got great rot resistance and for me at least its cheap

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.