Need Information

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Ofcjake, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Ofcjake

Ofcjake New Member

I have been interested in "houseboating" for some time and have looked into rentals recently due to the high cost of purchasing a new houseboat. I have found that renting is very expensive also and have decided to look into buiding my own houseboat. I have never built a boat before but have some mechanical know how as well as construction knowlege.

I have been looking into hull construction and would like to hear your thoughts on multi hull vs. single hull. I live on a medium sized fresh water lake in which wave height rarely reaches 3 ft. (only in stormy weather). Speed is not a factor as it relates to design.

2. yipster

yipster designer

have a look at second hand houseboats in your neighborhood.
    pricing is from low to high and the us of a has planty of nice boats, cats too.
    if it isnt for speed i guess you want a multi for economy cruising or whats the point.
    remember fixing up a used boat can cost you more than a new one.
    as to your question about home building, there are sites of people doing that
    showing the whole process but cant find them back that quikly

3. Ofcjake

Ofcjake New Member

Thanks for the info yipster. I have looked at the used boats too. The ones I have seen are still overpriced for the condition they are in. I would rather have a new boat that is customized to my needs. This will be a project that I am willing to spend a lot of time on (sort of a hobbie).

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is one of my houseboat designs, currently one is completed, I have others. If you'd like to contact me through email (click on my name) I can send you information.

[​IMG]

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I'd get lost in that boat PAR. Palacial looking. :) In a bouyant way.

Tim

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Well done, PAR.

Ofcjake, I'm guessing yout houseboat isn't intended to travel so much as to float. It might be a good idea to look into a concrete hull, or maybe a used steel barge as a foundation to build upon.
    You definately want something that can travel to some degree, however inefficiently. Have you investigated barges?

Alan

7. PAR

It's not that big, only 550 sq. ft of living space (under roof), which places it in the small condo category (with a 360 degree water view). This one motors okay, not well, but well enough, much more maneuverable with the newly installed bow thruster. 50' LOD, 16' beam and well rockered flat bottom.

Thanks for the fine comments.

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Well, its a pretty boat, PAR. Would go well with a little mini-tug that also serves as a launch. I see a lot of interest lately in houseboats. Apparently, real estate prices are getting insane in some places. Might even be a good idea to build them and lease them.

9. PAR

This one drafts so little water, that you could get off and wade to shore in knee deep wet stuff. Belle has the deck space to carry a coupe of fair size tender and a couple of PWC's, plus a method of getting them in and out of the drink. If I had the speculation capital, I'd build a small fleet of various sized floating vacation homes and find a friendly water front to park them. We're starting to see "slip-ominiums" along the coasts in Florida, which would be a good place to offer time share or seasonal rentals. Maybe a river side golf course in the distance . . .

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Sure, this is the coming trend. You should do it, PAR, starting one-off, since you've already built one and can pre-sell. I'm guessing the majority of the structure, all finished, could be built modularized in a year round shop and mini-craned into place. The hulls could just be jobbed out.
    Question is, how much fun would it be? Any case, if you make a plan/kit that a good builder (of houses) could assemble, you could stick with the design end, which is a nice long-term plan.

Alan

11. PAR

I don't think fun with the parent craft would be the selling point, in as much as the toys aboard and the area she's berthed.

12. yipster

yipster designer

no fun? she looks good for a okd fashioned poker game :D

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

No, hahaha, I meant fun for you to build. Granted, work isn't necessarily about fun, but it's nice to enjoy the work as much as possible. Everyone has a way they best do business, and some businesses are just plain no fun some people.
    No, the selling point will be commensurate with the model sold. At a certain point, with a fifteen year loan, one model may appeal as a replacement for a standard ranch house, while more costly models would appeal to second-homers, time-sharers, and people who are willing to pay a lot for a plush luxury apartment with an exclusive view.

14. PAR

I didn't build this boat, but did help on many elements of the build. The bow has a lot of flare, which proved difficult to plank (diagonally), but he rest of the hull was pretty simple, as she's slab sided and flat bottomed. The houses where very straight forward as well, being quite typical. In fact, the pilothouse was built on the ground and hoisted in place after her arrival at the launch. She couldn't travel over the road with that structure up there. I wouldn't consider it a "fun" build, but a project of this size is rewarding. My idea of fun is twisting planks into seemingly imposable shapes and pinning them down. It's likely I'm a touch masochistic.

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Perfect qualifications for a boat builder/restorer! :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.