Need information on boats for screenplay.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Hi THERE!, Apr 21, 2009.

1. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

also these films, knife in the water, polanski.captains courageous, spencer tracy. the deep.the perfect storm. talk to film set designers & carpenters & painters

2. peter radclyffe

also in this forum look at design software, if you have the time you can learn to create your own 3d models, rhino, solidwoks, autocad

3. bonatèr

bonatèr New Member

Like you, I corrected my mis-take. Good thing, alanwhite.

4. Hi THERE!

Hi THERE! New Member

Yeah, you guys are a bunch of jokesters, aren't you?

Thanks for the information. This helps.

5. peter radclyffe

i'm not joking, i'm trying to help you

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Ht, sorry you seem to have encountered our group of jokesters. Most of the time they are funny, most of the time. Today they seem to have too many rum runners.

There are thousands if types of boats. If you can imagine it floating on the water some ome somewhere has built it. The same is true of fishing boats. There are hundreds of different types ranging from the 12 foot rowboat to fish factory boats hundreds of feet long. So you do need to be a little more specific.

For instance the boat in "Jaws" It was a typical New England fishing boat usually used for taking customers out for sword fish or whatever else they catch. It probably was single engine with a small cabin and a flying bridge. somewhere around 35 or 40 feet long. ( I only saw the movie once many years ago and haven't taken the time to look it up on the web.)

Now the pirates in Somalia tend to use open boats around 20 or so feet (6.1 m) outboard powered. I have seen pictures of them and they usually don't even have wheel steering. They just use the tiller on the outboard. Reportedly they have "mother ships". According to the nws media these are not necessarily fishing boats. Often they are boats they have taken and held hostage so they could be anything from fishing boats, dhows, up to small freighters that don't need a large crew.

But I do agree with the suggestion of doing some research at the library. There are many books on diffferent boat tpes around the world. The type of boat to be used by your pirates would largerly depend on the region of the world this book is set in. For instance in Mexico and Central America they use big open outboard powered boats called Pangas. They are similar to the boats used by the Somalis. But if you want a fishing boat, the boat would be dictated by the place and the type of fishery. In much of Africa the stilluse sailing dhows to fish wheras in Japan, the US and Europe they use high tech modern powered vessel designed specifically for they type of fishery. A tuna fishing vessel is much different from purse seiner and more so from a troller and so on.

So you do need to have some idea of what you are looking for so we can help you. Also, since you have the internet, doing searches on the internet may find you many of the types of boats you are looking for. For instanc e google of Fishing boats gets you mostly small recreational type boats, but google on fishing trawler and you get those types, or dragger ( a boat used for dredging scallops off the bottom), or a seiner (herring fishery), or troller. there are many different types but to search you need to know the names of the different types, and that you will have to get from research, because we could spend months trying to educate you on the different types of boats. Go see the movie Forrest Gump, ther you will see a typical shrimp boat.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

I stand by my post and add, "If you are soooo sensitive to well intentioned advice - how will you be able to accept the dozens of rejection slips? Did you really expect to be hand fed on such an undefined scenario? what country of origin were the victims? - the pirates? and where - the ocean is a big place and you seem very unwilling to make any effort to do some research - What are the popular "brands" means mass production boats - Hatarass, Bertram, but then in Australian region, Choy Lee, Westcoaster, Sharkcat, Powercat of the 70's plus era....

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Hi There, you need to lighten up. You want it all instantly. You didn't get a serious response, but instead of taking it good naturedly you chose to be negative.
    Quite often here, someone who has not picked up a book, nor done the least amount of research, asks the forum to spend time describing basic information that anyone could get from any number of written sources on the web, the library, and so forth. Usually, they are more humble than you are, but the idea is the same. They want someone to help them do what they themselves are unwilling to do, namely take time out of their day and produce work for them.
    Most people who do this shifting of responsibility are scholars who must write something about boats.
    Sometimes they get some real help, too. Why not? People generally love to help out. People are often willing to spend an hour or so writing responses to even the most poorly written questioner. I myself wrote for a good fifteen minutes a response with detailed information just for you. You didn't care to mention that, however. Like I said, humility goes a long way.
    Not that anything you've read has been written with mailice. The only person harboring negative ideas appears to be you, and it would be nice if you stopped, and found some humor. And if you can't, that's okay too. Good luck in your finding out what you need to know. There are some very knowledgable people here who really enjoy helping folks learn about boats.

9. Hi THERE!

Hi THERE! New Member

I said thank you for the help and I sincerely meant it. Radclyff, thank you for taking my question seriously and answering it helpfully.

I can't help it if I am met with sarcasm on my initial request. I thought I'd ask someone who might be able to steer me in the right direction and after some unncessary banter I think I've accomplished that. I do appreciate the help from the people who have helped me. Sincerely.

I just came in here with straight questions looking for straight answers, instead I was met with some curveballs, but we've gotten that straightened out it seems. I can see how my posts can seem rude or arrogant, that was not my intention. I guess I'm not the only sensitive one around here.

I've got a lot of information to research now, based off of what you all have said, so you see my plan has worked. I really do appreciate your all's help.

10. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Actually - you might want to read a book called Nature of boats by gerr.

Its really easy read - you can skip the more technical parts but it gives good insight of why different boast are different and what they are good at (every boat is a compromise). It alos has case studies or example boats of many kinds.

And really it sis quite easy and enjoyable read - after reading that you will be more educated in asking the right questions. I would also read some survival/storm/etc. passage accounts - plenty written by sailors who have had colorful trips. These might give you great inspiration and more depth to understanding what is hard and what can happen on boats. Then just add more amazing crap :p

I think there might be good book lists on the forum if you search.

Oh - last thing - selling scripts that happen largely on sea might be hard. Waterworld was most expensive movie of its time - its expensive to shoot on the water all the time. I woudl really consider this and use actual "water time" carefully. What can be done in a set (inside a cabin) will be whole lot cheaper than full cg sequences or real boats racing off shore.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.