1980 four winns - wet transom

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by atengnr, Nov 19, 2019.

1. atengnr

atengnr Junior Member

Hi bought this boat 2019. Transom is wet from the lower engine mount holes and drain plug sleeve (i dont think po knew to seal these). Is this salvageable? Coul i replace a section of transom for drain plug up to engine mount holes and leave existing transom around

pics are looking at inner transom in bilge area.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

How did you become aware of a problem ?

3. atengnr

atengnr Junior Member

Saw wet wood when i drilled engine mount holes (wet at lower 2)

4. Mr Efficiency

Is this the boat that is busted up near the transom ledge ?

5. atengnr

atengnr Junior Member

6. Mr Efficiency

It is probably rotted elsewhere, I have replaced two transoms in glass boats, and although only a part looked suspect in both cases, once "operated on" it was obvious it was pretty well gone throughout, in both cases. But that doesn't mean they are all that way, I suppose. Given the age of it, though, the chances are it has travelled well beyond those holes. Tap around with a hammer on the exposed interior side of the ply, and see what is sounds like.

7. atengnr

atengnr Junior Member

Given the large splashwell, my lack of interest in disturbing the sole, is it reasonable to do transom from outside?

also, i am running a 70hp motor on this with rated max hp of 120, perhaps reduced loading that the transom sees compared to what it was designed for.

8. atengnr

atengnr Junior Member

See pics

Attached Files:

9. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Disturb the sole.

I have never seen transom rot without the stringers being rotten as well.
    Check the stringers!!

If stringers good, transom can be done from outside. BUT it will still be easier from inside.

10. atengnr

atengnr Junior Member

I did drill into stringers at bilge, at their botton abutting the hull and the wood was nice and blonde. I drilled several holes into both of those stringers in that bilge area.

11. atengnr

atengnr Junior Member

I agree that issues may be beyond transom but what i know for sure is that someone drilled engine mount holes and essentially placed no functional sealant around the holes. Ditto for the drain plug sleeve. Water clearly originated from here.

12. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Looks like you’ve already started to do the demolition from the inside, and the glass looks pretty wimpy, as if it were mostly torn out rather than having to be cut out. Is there any weave in the layup, or just chop?
    This may be taken as a warning that the entire boat could be weakly assembled, and a poor candidate for rebuilding.
    How about some close up shots and measurements of the edges of the glass that was removed?

13. atengnr

atengnr Junior Member

Pretty sure its just chop. Chisel and a hammer gets underneath and tears easily

14. Mr Efficiency

It is pretty standard for the inside face of the transom ply to be lightly glassed. I think you should drill a few shallow holes ( not through the outside glass !) in the part you have exposed, and see that way, if there is general rot. If not, leave it be.

15. atengnr

atengnr Junior Member

Thanks. So you all dont think that the rot around the drain plug hole is worrisome enough to warrant a tear up? Certainly is an area perhaps 6 in in height x 12 inches width that is partially rotted. Remainder of exposed transom is wet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.