Diesel to electric conversion

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by kach22i, Aug 28, 2007.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Diesel to electric conversion

1. What is the "lightest" and most practical (affordable) set-up TODAY that one may convert Bio-Diesel fuel to electricity for use in electric motors?

2. What disruptive technology is just around the corner (near future, 5 years away) which one may convert Bio-Diesel fuel to electricity for use in electric motors?

The reason I ask is I see a lot of electric propulsion units (current and future) being posted in this section of the forum.

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

An electric jet engine.........yet another example of demand.

Click the arrows at the top of the presentation..............
    http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/mphil/Trent1/index.htm

See page 34, page 11 is also interesting for stator graphics.

Where do you think all the juice will come from?

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

FYI, on the PBS TV program "Autoline Detroit" this weekend Bob Lutz of GM talked about the Chevy Volt. It's powertrain is pretty what I have been asking about and looking for. Its a classic disruptive technology although Lutz is quick to point out there are no conceptual hurdles to overcome (without whispering the word "Hydrogen"), it's pretty much using technology that's already out there - just making it better.

Watch the interview here (The Shock of the New):
    http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1133

Link to the "Volt":
    http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

4. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

1. A diesel engine driving a generator/alternator.

2. None.

The reason why I see eletric propulsion unit is economic.

Look up the Lagoon 420 SE, one of the few production electric boat.

Old way :
    Two diesel engines 4 cyl + 2 gearboxes, with all ancillaries (exhaust, vents, sound proofing, vibration control , fuel lines, tanks), located in hulls.
    One diesel engine 4 cyl with ancillaries, driving a (big) generator for hotel loads, including air conditionning.

Economic way:
    One diesel engine 4 cyl with ancillaries, driving a (bigger) generator for hotel loads, including air conditionning and propulsion.

Two electric engines plugged on the genset. No gearbox, no exhaust, limited vents, sound proofing and vibrations. Easier to locate in the accomodations.

Limitation : propulsion and air conditionning at the same time may be short.

When you need 10 kW for propulsion and 1 kW for electric hotel loads, you mechanically plug your prop shaft on the 10 kW IC engine, and drive an 1kW auxilliary alternator from a belt.

When you need 10 kW for propulsion and 15 kW for electric hotel loads (air conditionning, water maker, sub freezer, induction cooking, ... ), you mechanically plug your 15 kW generator on the 15 kW IC engine, now renamed a genset, and drive the propeller with an auxilliary 10 kW electric engine powered from the genset.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.