Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by phantom198201, May 4, 2007.

1. phantom198201

phantom198201 New Member

Need Help With Paint!!!!

I have a 73 searay that I need to paint. I have painted cars for years, but I am not for sure what kind of paint to use on my boat. It needs to be painted inside and out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should use? Something that is not to hard to apply. Will base and clear like I paint cars with hold up?

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

any two part urethane or polyurethane paint will do. Use a good hard epoxy primer first.

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

hey jim would you recomend urethane or polyurethans over jellcoat ?im kicking it around,,,,longliner

4. phantom198201

phantom198201 New Member

Do I need to prime the whole boat?

5. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Sand and prime the whole boat before painting.

6. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Gelcoat is the best. But it is very difficult to get it to lay down, and a lot of work to sand and polish. Polyurethanes are the next best followed by urethanes. Prime the whole boat. I use a product called Glasshield, its a hard setting epoxy primer. Stay away from flexible epoxy primers. They are not very abrasion resistant.

7. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Yes Jim Gelcoat if the best, but the guy knows how to paint.
    I've just bought Sherwin Williams HI-Solids Polyurethane and Re-Coatable Primer to paint my boat. It's also used for marine platforms.
    Maybe you can check these products or someone here might have tried it and tell you what they think.

8. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

I've used Sherwin Williams and found it not to be the best. The recoatable primer is not a quality epoxy. The Last time I sprayed SW the finish looked like glass for 24 hrs then went flat. The only two that are worth spraying is Imron and Allgrip. Im trying a new urethane from Prospray and I'll post my results. I don't like spraying Imron or Allgrip because they are very toxic. I spend too much time in the spray booth and I'm cutting down on my isocyanate use. One problem you will run into spraying fiberglass is static. Spray with a VERY wet floor, it helps. Moisture in the air won't cause problems, moisture in the substrate will.

9. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback Jim but too late for me butI already have the paint and primer with me. I was going to buy Imron but here is too expensive US$515 p/g
    The boat it's going to be all white and i might have to polish a little bit more to get a good shine if it comes out the way your's did, i hope it doesn't. What did you do when it went flat? Did you use a specific product?

10. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

SW is very sensitive to moisture. Make sure the hull is well dried out and try to spray on low humidity days. I know this will be hard in your area. If it goes flat wet sand and clear coat.

11. Edoardo

Edoardo New Member

Gelcoat VS Allgrip

I am not an expert in painting and I want to have my sailing boat resprayed by a professional shipyard and I am not sure if I should go for gelcoat or allgrip; is any of the two best? what are pros and cons? I would aslo like to know for each alternative what are the key isssues that I should agree with the shipyard and that I should check are properly done. The original colour is blue and I would like to keep it the same colour. Many thanks. Edoardo

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

awl-grip is better then gel-coat. awl-grip is harder, last longer,more colors, stands up against stains easier and is WAY easier to spray,, it costs more, but for the benefits it worth 10 times what gel-coat is worth. you need to fair,sand,prime,sand again,then top coat. if you want clear over, you need to pick a dark color not the whites. once you see the price for a gallon of awl-grip,, you'll think im crazy,,,, but then when ya see the bill for just wet sanding the gel-coat after its applied,,awl-grip price looks like spare change ;)
    when talking pros and con,,, the ONLY pro gel has is the cost of the gel,,,,(non of the labor heh)
    and boats painted with SW should either be sunk,,or displayed PROUDLY for at least a year in ya front yard,,,,where EVERYONE can see how it works,,,,,,is there a difference between SW and latex paint? hehe

13. Edoardo

Edoardo New Member

many thanks!

Now all is much clear! Thanks. Edoardo

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

__and you can brush Awl Grip. I even converted Much.

15. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

What's the best procedure for prepping a gel coat hull? The last one I painted with one part poly (low budget boat) I scuff sanded the gel, alcohol wipe, prime, and then top coat. So is there any other work necessary beyond a scuff sanding?