new to boat building

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by newbiejon24, May 3, 2009.

1. newbiejon24

newbiejon24 Junior Member

I live on the great lake and would like to build my own Budweiser hydroplane replica. I have no idea where to start or what type of construction method to use.(you know stitch and glue or what not) I want it to be as light as possible so i can propelle it around 60+mph using a small motorcycle engine or what ever you guys think will be best. Im just wondering if you guys can give me tips and pointers for this boat?

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

There are lots of plans for small hydroplanes available on the internet. Try Glen-L https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=347 or ClarkCraft http://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local/shop.pl?type=categ&categ=012&cart_id=

I would go for something small before going for a boat like the Bud. If this is goign to be a scaled down version I would go for a v-8 rather than a motorcycle engine.

Here are a couple of web site that deal with this type of boat;
    Performance Boats http://www.performanceboats.com/?gclid=COjLmpKxoZoCFShRagod9RpU9g
    American Boat Racing association http://www.abrahydroplanes.com/

3. newbiejon24

no the engine size is the key factor. I want this thing light enough and long enough to carry the motor myself and a tank of gas. But i still want it to go as fast as possible so i figured the miss budweiser would be the perfect replica.

4. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Buy an engine less jetski and stick an outboard on the back ..25 hp will make it fly ..I just bought one for $120 and have a 15 hp johnson on it ..rocket ship

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Key Factors on How much power is needed - Desired speed plus Total Weight with Driver, fuel and Engine ?

6. newbiejon24

well im 185lbs and i only want a ten gallon tank. as for the rest of the weight I have no idea. I saw somewhere that you can make boats out of stirofoam and fiberglass... but i doubt that would take the punishment I want to deal it. I want to atleast go 60 but the faster the better. so is there any other light material that can handle such speeds only being 14'by 6.5'?

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Build it out of wood/plywood much stronger that fiberglass though I would giberglass the hull.

8. newbiejon24

would that be light enough for such a small engine to propel over 60 mph?

9. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

I have seen videos of small hydroplanes with little johnson 20's on the back do about 30-40 mph. So a motorcycle engine is what? 100-120 hp? I think that that would power a small hydroplane around 50-60 at least. Just my oppinion. The only way to find out is to test the theory.

10. newbiejon24

what about making the hull out of the wood and just fiber/plexy glass for the cock pit? would that work? now remember i want this thing too look like miss Budweiser execpt 60% smaller.

11. newbiejon24

i was looking at some small hydroplanes but none of them had enclosed cockpits would the hull have to bee deeper to accommodate the extra weight on top?

12. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

I'm a newbie too Jon, If you decreased the size of Miss Budweiser by 60% would'nt that make it too small for a cockpit? I could see the problem with going 60 mph with out a cockpit, probably create a new hairstyle LOL.

I'm not sure but I think a cockpit would change the aerodynamics of the boat and it would not perform as well. Then again a person sitting on the top is similar to cockpit, so I'm still not sure.

13. newbiejon24

well the miss madison is 30 ft by 14.5 ft so im just guestimating about the 60%. you have a point about the aerodynamics as well thats why i am here trying to get as much input as possible. but the boat wouldnt be cool without the cockpit. the speed is just a factor so i can run circles around the speed boats in my lake. But what im after is the sexiness of the unlimited hydroplane racing boats. oh another thing is i want to be able to walk on top of the boat(fish off of it) if i just use epoxy and figerglass would it be strong enough for this?

14. newbiejon24

15. Ike

Ike Senior Member

That's aluminum hoeneycomb sandwiched, Not exactly cheap but very strong and lightweight, However a boat that size is going to need a fairly powerful engine, more than your motorcycle engine.

Hydroplanes come in all sizes from 10 feet to 40 feet. The little ones use outboard engines, but these are NOT stock engines if used in racing. A small hydro in the 13-14 foot range with an engine from a kawaski jet ski or yamaha wave runner would probably hit 60. Their top of the line boats will do about 65 stock. The USCG tested some in 2005 that would do between 60 and 65 mph true measured with a radar gun.

I would go with the plywood construction. Frankly untill you get up into the over 20 foot sizes most small hydros are plywood. It's strong and light and not very expensive.

As for Lake Erie, you DO NOt wanted to be running a hydroplane out in little more than small ripples anyway. Rough water would bounce it all over the place and any wind over ten mph would probably make it take off like a kite. Hydroplanes are smooth water boats. If you want ot run in anything over a couple of inches of chop you want a boat with some vee to the bottom.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.