Thread in composite boat building

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by catsketcher, May 14, 2008.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Hello all

I have started a thread in composite boatbuilding but am going to post my initial post here too

I am intrigued with getting some data from the building sheds around the world on the real engineering abilities of the materials we use. Would anyone out there be interested in making some test samples from small amounts of leftover materials and then testing them in a way we could agree on?

The engineering data would be very useful for designers so that they could design structures that we could actually build rather than what guys in nice white lab coats can do.

I was thinking of making a simple test beam say 1000mm long 100 wide that undergoes a deflection test to work out its properties. Has this been done before?

cheers

Phil Thompson

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.