Need Help with Mystery Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pjturch, Jan 10, 2016.

1. pjturch

pjturch New Member

Hi All, I purchased this custom boat about 5 years ago and I am trying to find out who built it. Here is the info I do know.
    Built in 1973 in Pompano Beach, Fl. Previous owner is a family friend and he bought it from The Mob. No joke. His wife's Uncle was a Goodfella and these guys hailed from Johnstown, PA. The Mobsters used it for a year running drugs from Cuba to Miami. It is definately a offshore boat but it was not meant to be fast, it was meant more for fuel economy. It has a Hollmon/Moody ford 302 with a 75 gallon aluminum gas tank.

In the summer of 1974 The Doc. and his wife went down from Mich to visit her Uncle. The mobsters took a liking to him(he is a Doctor). The Doc showed interest in the Boat, so before he left, they sold him the boat.
    Once back in Mich. he purchased a trailer from a local marina and paid them to bring it up to Mich. Once here he took it to the local marina. As he tells the story. No sooner than he pulled into the marinas p-lot. the owner came running out asking where he got the boat and wanted to buy it on the spot. The marina owner told him the boat was designed by a famous boat builder. Unfortunately, the Doc could not remember this designers name. ( I have since come to believe it could possibly be Don Aronow).

I can tell you this though, I cannot take this boat anywhere where people will not stop me and ask about it. Anyway, any and all help would be appreciated. thanks. PJ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You'd have to say it was a 60's design, it has superficial resemblance to a Formula 233, but isn't one. Transom deadrise looks to be 20-22 degrees, rather than the 24 of the "real" offshore boats. Unless my eyes deceive me. Measuring the length would possibly help.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

You're making a lot of assumption there, which can't be supported. For example you think; "it was meant more for fuel economy", when clearly if this was the case, other choices in terms of deadrise, power, hull shape, etc. would have been taken.

The boat has a registration number so this would be the first search. The next would be an inspection of the out of the way places in the boat, where a hull or HIN number will be carved. Most of the time the hull or HIN number will be carved into a structural element, like a main deck beam, keel stringer, the inside of the transom, etc. At some point she would have been assigned a HIN by local authorities, which might include a MIC. The MIC will tell you who built it or may just declare it home built, at which point you're screwed. If it was involved in an illicit trade, the first thing they'd have done, would be to fill in and paint over any external HIN's. Some scraping in the upper right corner of the transom could uncover this.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Meant for fuel efficiency? You do know what Holman and Moody engines were built for, don't you?

5. pjturch

pjturch New Member

Failed to mention. No vin no tag. No where on boat. Never had one according to previous owner. He believes the Mob had it built for them. He like myself, used the Holman/ moody tag serial number for registration with State of Michigan. Gel coat was worn and faded and no sign anywhere that a vin was ever stamped in. Called Mr Holman. Regarding motor. Motor is a 1969. Mr Holman said H/M regularly sold motors off the shelf to small boat builders. Motor is nothing special, stock except for H/M exhaust manifolds. H/M tag says it's 235hp 10:1 CR and that it has 351 heads. When I pulled it apart it has 302 heads. I was told Pompano in the early 70's had tons of small boat builders.

6. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

This was, and remains, a commonplace. Saves the builder corporate taxes. Boat hulls got molded and drug off for fitout all the time. Molds got leased and returned. Employees got to build their own boat in exchange for labor, and since this was done at night, the boat co. got a free security person to boot. Bare hulls were given to gear heads in exchange for motor test data. Resin was really cheap back then and nobody cared about a hull more or less. And there's nothing exactly illegal about the process per say, although getting one registered can be fun. And yes, I've walked into the DMV and said "Hi, I've just picked up this old drug boat with no numbers and a doubtful title and need to get it registered. And I'd also like a courtesy inspection by your drug dogs."

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Considering it's vintage and it's provenance (dubious to say the least) it probably does not have an HIN. There were hundreds of builders in southern Florida building boats like that. Don Aronow was just the most prominent one. I agree with the others about the fuel economy. There is a reason the Coast Guard calls these "go fast" boats.

But as was said, to register the boat simply go to the DMV or whoever registers boats in your state. They have a form that you fill out certifying that the boat was built before HINs were required. In some states they may have a cop look at it. They will register it and assign an HIN and give you a title. You will need a bill of sale from the seller. They need to know what you paid for it so they can tax it. (either sales tax or personal property tax or both depending on the state).

PS: the bottom looks a lot like a Bertram, but the hull and topsides look just like my Sea Ray. This one is a bit of a cross breed. But it's not an Aronow. His boats were slimmer with a lower hull and a reverse sheer. Of course who knows. He built a lot of custom boats.

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Looks like a Formula 23 or 27, designed by Jim Wynne and Walt Walters for the 23 and Peter Guerke for the 27. The production 23 was the only Aronow boat I've seen with that lifting strake layout. Beam on the 23 was just under 8' and right on 8' for the 27', which was actually 27'6" long. The 27' was sold to Marlin Boatworks and the 23' to Thunderbird Boats.

9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It does "look like" a 233, but isn't to my eye. Don't know about a 27, not familiar with it. Seen plenty of 233's, and there are also numerous clones and near-clones, but the immediate differences I noted are the lack of reverse sheer "droop" at the bow, the elongated "S" profile of the chine, no sign of the hook at the stern outboard of the outside strake, seemingly not as much deadrise either. And the inboard strake is more pronounced, and lower down than a 233. It would be interesting to know what it is, and as I said earlier, an accurate measurement of length would reduce the possibilities.

10. goin70

goin70 Junior Member

It is great looking boat, but IMHO it is not a Formula. The boat appears to have been built by the Performer Boat Company in Florida around the early to mid 70's. They built some great boats and I am sure you can find some details online. If I remember correctly, they also built boats around 44 ft. that had triple engines and they were very plush rides. Congratulations on the rare find and please keep us posted if you uncover more interesting history on the brand.

11. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

May I suggest posting in the Miami Craigslist "Boats for Sale" section?

Make the title something like: _________ Can Anyone Identify This Boat Built in Pompano?
    And then paste the link for this thread.

The old boat guys still look at ads to see what's going on...

It's worked for me.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.