need help with my first build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by msilva86, Jun 19, 2014.

1. msilva86

msilva86 New Member

ok so im building a flat bottom fishing boat its 14 ft long 42 inches at the bottom with a 54 inch beam and 20 inches deep i know the numbers sound weird but i wanted something deep and wide to fish out of with my kids im not sure where things went wrong but the bottom curve went totally wrong and my frames some how ended up almost two inches out of square can i cut off the curve and and rebuild the frames ? im new to this and just need some help in the right direction thanks in advance

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

welcome to the forum,

not sure exactly what the issues is as you describe it, perhaps if you can post pictures it might help. sometimes if you did not get the rockers correct at the keel, than the fames would be all out of alignment for skinning with ply or planking.

making the sides tall do not necessarily make it less likely to capsize, that is a function of the boat below water line shape and center of gravity. so it is important to get the rocker correct, so It matches the designers intended lines, presuming you are following the plans.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A boat with a 42 inch bottom (chine width) is not actually wide for a 14 foot boat. Although it is 54 inches at the top (sheer line), that does nothing for initial stability. In fact, since it it appears to have 6 inches of flare per side, that allows the occupants to get their weight farther off center. That is not a favorable feature. If you build small decks, six inches wide more or less, along the sides, then the problem will be diminished because the person will not be able to place his weight as far toward the edge of the boat.

You are using frames so you are apparently building in a conventional manner. You will have a strongback or some kind of straight rigid structure on which to fasten the frames. You are to fasten the frames with spacing according to the plans. With the frames centered, carefully firmly erected, and perpendicular to the strongback, you can check for correctness by using a long thin batten. That will be a long piece of wood, perhaps three quarter inch by three quarter inch and about 16 feet long. Bend the batten over the frames, from end to end, in several locations around the frames.. If all the frames touch the batten then your frames are right. If not you will need to start making adjustments and carefully checking the dimensions of the frames.

A few pictures will allow some one here to be more specific about how to solve the problem. Meanwhile, keep the faith in your ability to build a boat. You can do it even if you need a little bit of help.

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I think that a deck along the gunnel top is actually an invite to step or sit on the edge of the boat. I have built some small boats of this type with seats that are flat across the center, enough to comfortably sit in the right spot, and then slope upwards to the gunnel, with drink holders, rod holders, etc to discourage putting weight there.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

^ some on board discipline is a primary requirement on any boat. Sitting on the deck is not permitted, stepping on the deck, definitely a no no. In a moment of excitement..............."look daddy there are two dolphins" and everyone rushes to the side of the boat.....including the Labrador retriever. The farther out they can lean the more heeling moment. A boat of that size and width might tolerate 150 pounds or so, of offset weight at the chine, without being dangerous. Depends on how heavy they are and far out they have leaned, how excited the curious kids and the dog are. Of course good boat discipline can take care of that eventuality too.

Increase the bottom width to the width of the ply sheet at 48" and the initial stability will increase dramatically. Something approaching 50% more. Now you can omit the decks if the sheer beam remains at 54" more or less.

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

based on my experience with similar dimension canoes, 54" will be ok for calm water, but will not inspire confidence with 2 kids aboard. Those dimensions are not much more than a canoe.

sizeboat.jpg

A centre seat down the middle is a great way of helping with trim. The have to site on it like a jetski, or at right angles when they are fishing.

The materials and how you have fastened the boat will determine how easy it is to fix any hull issues.

Post some photos for best effect

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.