Free!Ship defaults help pls

Discussion in 'Software' started by Saqa, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Hi guys, does anyone know where to change the defaults for water density and units from imperial to metric?

I am drawing in another progie and importing into freeship so I have to keep changing the settings everytime I change the lines and import, which can be ten times in ten mins! I prefer to draw in the other program as I am finding drawing in Freeship diffcult

I have tried in the manual and exploring support files to see if it can be changed with text editor but no luck so far

Thanks

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

you sure you don't mean metric to imperial? The freeship I have... all the versions... default to metric and you have to change it manually to imperial. However... the program I use that I import from is in metric. Do you do your importing from a program that uses imperial measurements to start with? Perhaps FS is importing it in those measurements to maintain continuity.

3. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Steve thats correct, I use Carlson Hulls to draw and that only works with Imperial. Thats one of the reason I am importing into Freeship to view the metric results

So I need to make metric sticky in Freeship

4. lewisboats

Sorry... It appears to import and default to the originating software's system of measurement. Looks like you are stuck converting each time. Best to do a basic hull shape in Hulls, then import and learn how to manipulate the hull using the tools in in the Transform menu of Freeship.

5. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

I was afraid you were going to say that! :D

Usually I can make most software dance but for some reason I just cant get my head around drawing in freeship. I hope the opensource community might have a hack to lock it into metric mode

6. lewisboats

The best way to think about drawing in Freeship is to turn on the faces. This makes the fact that the hull is simply a net more visible. What you are trying to do is shape the net to your liking. Once you get the hang of Scale, Move and Rotate then apply a little practice you'll get the hang of it. One thing to remember, especially with Rotate is that it rotates from the point of origin... baseline at 0. If you wish to rotate things about a certain axis then you must move the model so that the 0 line runs through your desired axis of rotation. Combine those things with manipulating layers and things start to come together after that. I've been using it since Freeship 1.0 and I still have Duh! moments when I realize how I could have been doing things easier. I do wish that there was a Deselect all in the dialogue box for the various Transform options. It is a pain to have to deselect 20 different layers to move one object.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.