Need help with Fiberform Boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Knavidi, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Knavidi

Knavidi New Member

I have a 1978 Fiberform boat 19ft ski boat, always garaged and in excellent shape. Only issue is that a little bit of water 1" or so gets into my water ski storage box in the hull of my boat. It appears to have a drain plug that I am unable to pull out, I dont know where this drains to either. I looked at the bottom of the boat and it only has small knicks in the fiber, no holes are visible. This is my first boat and I dont have a manual. Can someone tell me if its normal to get a small amount of water in the hull of these boats?

2. mike steiger

mike steiger Junior Member

Hi,
    If you can load some photos it would help. Start by checking thru-hull fittings, drain plugs, ect. It's hard for me to tell without pictures but I hope this help's.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

All boats collect water to some extent even if only from condensation or rain. Back then it was common to put limber holes in bulkheads and compartments so water would drain back to the stern where there was usually a small sump and a bilge pump. Trailerable boats often had a drain plug on the bottom of the transom. If they didn't then the bilge pump was used to get whatever water collected, out of the boat. First check the compartment. Is there a small hole in the back end of it near the bottom of the compartment? Check the bilge near the transom. Is there a bilge pump, does it work? Also, if the limber holes have never been cleaned out they may be clogged with debris that collects in boats. Just plain old dirt will clog them after awhile because these holes are only 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size.