Need help with conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by topspeed02, Nov 20, 2008.

1. topspeed02

topspeed02 New Member

Hey everyone my name is James and ive been reading the site for a while now and want to start my boat project to get it ready for spring. The boat is a 1994 Stingray 606 zpx with a blown 4.3 merc in it and alpha one drive. I would like to finish building this 350sbc motor but am a lil weiry on some things. Heres the mount in my boat.
    [​IMG]
    Will this mount up to my small block and are these the solid mounts cause I ordered the solid mounts from dana marine and if there wrong I just wasted some money? Also here is the clerance with the 4.3
    [​IMG]
    Is there enough room for the 350? It will be closed system cooled but arnt sure what kind of maniflds I need and if it is to close to the gas tank or what not. So any help would be great. I love the boat and its a good size. Another forum I was on was like scrap the boat and buy a bigger one. I love my boat any help would be great.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. topspeed02

topspeed02 New Member

thanks has anyone else on here done this swap. I searched but theres so many keywords to get rightI can never find the proper post? Thanks for the quick responce as well.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The picture shows solid mounts, which are of course not completely solid but suitable for stern drive applications. The flexible mounts are really flexible and intended for prop shaft installations.

The 350 is approx. 4" longer than the 4,3 engine. Since your fuel tank seems to be immediately in front of the engine there is no room for a 350 unless the tank can be moved forward. Width is never a problem.

6. topspeed02

topspeed02 New Member

Thanks CDK. The tank can be moved forward a bunch and the wood needs to be replaced anyway. This shouldnt throw anything off right?

7. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

It will move the center of gravity forward and may make planning a little more difficult.Matching the prop to the new engine should resolve this issue.I'm not sure what prop would be correct for you specific set up.Contact a prop shop for better info.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.