Need help to Prep Van Der Stadt spirit for blue water sailing.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tman, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Tman

Tman New Member

So I am in the process of acquiring a Van Der Stadt Spirit 28 that was a retired gentleman's unfinished project. This boat has never been in the water and all the roughing has been done. My question is in connection with setting this boat up for a crossing. Is there a way to strengthen the rudder system as I have been reading about the vulnerability of the rudders as they are not skeg hung and she has a bolted on fin keel. What can I do to strengthen this and what else could I do to prepare this boat for blue water sailing. I am getting this boat as it is within my tiny budget so looking for another boat with a better rating is not gonna work for me. Seeing that we are in lockdown in South Africa I thought it would be a great idea to do some research in this regard. Thanks.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Tman.
    For the benefit of other contributors, here is a drawing of the Spirit 28.
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/spirit-28-van-de-stadt

It is worth noting that most Van de Stadt designs appear to have a cantilevered semi-balanced spade rudder - it was almost a trademark signature on his designs.
    And many thousands of spade rudders and bolted on keels survive very happily on long passages all over the world..
    It might be possible to 'beef up' the laminates in way of where the rudder stock tube is laminated to the hull if you are really worried about it - but if it has been properly built according to the designer's specifications I wouldn't worry to do this.
    Could you maybe post some photos showing the rudder stock tube in the aft peak compartment?
    Your best bet re having some redundancy in case something impacts your rudder might be an auxiliary rudder on the transom (perhaps as part of a wind vane self steering system). Or carry a steering oar?

Rumars likes this.
  3. Tman

Tman New Member

Thank you for your reply. I will send some pics as soon as we are allowed to leave our house due to our strict lockdown. The Boat has been well made no short cuts taken but will send the pics as soon as I can, Thanks Again.

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.