Need Help to Identify This Boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Sisson, May 17, 2014.

1. Sisson

Sisson New Member

Hello all. I have been watching the decline of this boat for several years. I used to live in an apartment that overlooked its location, and admired it from the roof deck. It was under some trees, that caused the heavy growth on the starboard side. It was moved at some point but only a short distance. That is all I have seen of it move in the last 8+/- years. I spoke to its owner once, several years ago, and he said he thought it was built in South Africa, but he could not remember the manufacturer. He was a minority owner, with a friend of his being the more interested party. The partner however died leaving the boat entirely to him. The boat is currently in Massachusetts.

So... anyone have any idea who the builder is? I went through 249 pages of boats on saildata.com without success. At the time I spoke to the owner I roughly measured the LOA to be somewhere in the 37' range. There is no HIN on the transom and I could not find any identifying plates inside the boat. I still drive by the boat, and it has bothered me that I still don't know the manufacturer.

Any info would be great! Sorry for the low quality pics. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

Looks like an old Irwin to me. There were quite a few of them in this (Mass) area many, many decades ago.

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

80's morgan 41 out island? Or the Canadian Equivalent. I can't recall the Canadian Brand at the moment - began with an H.

<edit> What I was thinking of was the Heritage built West Indies 38, but that isn't it either.

4. Sisson

Sisson New Member

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Keel/prop/rudder doesn't quite match to a Morgan or an Irwin. There is some good pics of them on saildata and the profiles do not match. also looking at the porthole placement.

5. nzboy

nzboy Senior Member

I will take a wild guess and say this is a bruce Roberts 370 radius chine built by fortuna yachts south africa

6. nzboy

nzboy Senior Member

A few Roberts examples 6_3.jpg

181.jpg

3843843_20120205013532_1_XLARGE.jpg

304996168.jpg

skeg2.jpg

skeg1.jpg

7. Sisson

Sisson New Member

Wow thats pretty darn close. I think you nailed it. That makes me a bit depressed. I was gonna make him an offer on the boat, now i don't think i want to get involved... :(

From Bruce Roberts website:

Ug...

Any advice?

8. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Probably needs much work after sitting outside for so long. Sails and rigging. Engine. Interior finishes. All probably take more money than you think to fix up or replace.

In the end you probably save time and money buying a boat that was sailed last year and actively maintained.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.