Need help to design a special mast

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wallyland, Oct 1, 2019.

1. wallyland

wallyland New Member

Hallo to you all, I am new here, I am really struggling with a project, I need an expert that can design a fiberglass pole/mast, this particular mast or pole will be part of a show prop and it will have to be designed In 3 versions a 4 meter, a 5 meter and a 6 meter version, here a video link of what the pole must deliver safely:
    Can anybody help please?
    Thanks in advance, yours faithfully, Wallyland...

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

3. wallyland

wallyland New Member

Hallo Rwatson, thanks for your reply,
    Sway-poles.com has no good poles, they are 3 meters only, we both have poles already, but as I am trying to get a certificate for my poles, I am looking for improvements...
    I am looking especially in the resins and materials involved....

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

If you want to use them for people; you really can't get your information on a public forum.

You will need engineering done, load ratings, testing; the whole bit I'd say.

Ilan Voyager and rwatson like this.
  5. wallyland

wallyland New Member

Hallo fallguy, thanks and I agree, if anyone can help with the engineering, please email me here:
    walter-forgione@t-online.de
    Cheers and regards...

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Wallyland, there are a few forum members who are entirely qualified to do the engineering for your project. I can not imagine that any of them would be willing to do so. We are talking about a piece of equipment whose adequacy is a matter of life or death. No way in hell that any of us would accept that kind of liability.

Your video shows an elegant, artistic, and daring use of the pole. The people on the poles are certainly athletes worthy of the highest respect. I have seen acts of that sort that were performed on taller poles, maybe five to seven meters. It is a scary and in my mind total lunacy. But that is show business at its' most spectacular level.

I suspect that you might be able to engage a design engineer who would be willing to work with you. He/she would require absolute immunity from any liability whatsoever. Expect to spend a significant amount for such a service.

I wish you the best of luck.

rwatson likes this.
  7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Huh? The poles on their website look way longer than ten feet.

swaypole.png

8. wallyland

wallyland New Member

Hallo again and thanks for all the positive advise/help,
    I am working now with a engineer team....
    Cheers and regards to you all.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.