need help, taking motor out

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by stdutcher, Mar 7, 2009.

1. stdutcher

stdutcher Junior Member

Ok I have no clue on what Im doing but i want to learn and what better place to learn then here with fellow boaters that know what there doing, I want to pull the motor on my 1970 Cheetah jet with a 455 olds it has a Berkely jet I just got back from the tool store and spent way to much money on everything I needed to pull it so Im set with the tools to do the job now I just need to know how, any help would be great thanks

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Go to your local rental store and see what types of engine lifts you can rent. Single arm lifts that work from one side are dangerous. Try to remove as much weight as possible before lifting it out. Another thought as you have a trailer go to a mechanics shop and back it in and let them lift it out and put it into the back of a pickup. W/O manifolds and jet and whatever else you can get off you will still have a block that weighs some 500 lbs.
    But that can be slid off on a wood ramp and onto a platform with wheels. For safety have 4 people and lots of straps. Stan PS I vote for the mechanics shop doing it. What's a few bucks for safety. Also, stores sell lifting plugs that screw into the spark plug holes. Use your friends and promise to take them out on the boat. Where in Calif?

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Just a quikie comment - sometimes it easier to remove boat from motor. Lift motor with rented gismo, lower boat....

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I was going to say, don't jurt your back. Let the wife take the motor out instead.

5. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

LOL Fanie,
    I wish I'd said that! :)

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Buy a case of beer and call one of your gearhead buddies over. Anyone that's removed a car engine will likely have enough common sense to stumble through removing your big block.

Don't lower the boat, that's really a foolish idea and one where you have little control. Like lowering a couple tons of boat is easier then lifting a half a ton of engine. Control is the key, you want the ability to move things around as you lift it out. It's a lot easier to wiggle an engine free then wiggle a boat free.

A come-a-long from a tree branch will do, though an engine hoist is damn handy.

Buy a repair manual for the boat, or engine package. It will cover engine removal.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Be carefull of that tree branch though. They have a way to come off at just the worst time. Engine hoists are not scarce or if you buy one you have it for next time too.

A friend wanted to leave some stuff he bought here while doing other business, so I organized with the wife to play along.

When he got here and wanted to unload, I stopped him and said no, the stuff is heavy, we may hurt our backs. Called the wife, she came right up and pretended she'll unload... the guy nearly cracked up from disbelieve :D

Became a standing joke after that...

The wife likes working in the garden, I hate it.
    So if someone gets here they cannot believe the wife is mowing the lawn, and they all ask why does your wife mow the lawn.

Simple answer. I trained her. She washes the cars too, hey, I'm buzy, boats to plan and draw and so on, you know, important things :D

I bet most wish their wives could be trained like that ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.