Need help repairing this Transom

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by robbieinga, Aug 27, 2006.

1. robbieinga

robbieinga Junior Member

New lurker and poster here. I recently purchased this 14' fiberglass boat and am in the process of starting repairs to the flooring and transom. But I noticed that most transoms are flat across the back making it easier to remove the inside skin to access wood for repairs, however as you can see in the pics I have this box type structure to deal with can I just remove it and eliminate it from the restoration? Does it serve any benefit. If it stayed it too would need to be repaired. Thanks in advance
    Robbie

Attached Files:

2. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

I'm not 100% sure, but it's probably there to keep the motor from ripping itself off under power. Could be there for floatation, but it wouldnt last too long because of the holes. I'd leave it alone. Work around it.
    -Figgy

3. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur