Need Help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by SupraTurbox22, Aug 2, 2006.

1. SupraTurbox22

SupraTurbox22 New Member

Hi, i bought a boat that had been winterized, and the lower unit was removed. Im in the process of mating the lower and upper together. Now, there is a guide tube or something on the metal tube on the lower unit. It is 2-3" and whitish/tan in color. I believe the metal tube it is on is a water uptake pipe maybe. I was just wondering what the plastic guide tube was there for? It doesnt look like it would do anything much. The reason i ask is because the top is warped, almost like it was melted or something. I was wondering what would happen if i took that off or left it like that. The guy used it all last summer and it was like that when he took it off. Boat runs great by the way.

Thansk in advance for your time!!

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You're probably talking about a seal on the water intake tube. Cooling water for the engine is drawn from the gratings on the sides of the lower unit, up this tube, into the engine. If it's not properly sealed, then not enough water makes it to the engine and you get overheating problems. Get, and read, the shop manual for your drive before you proceed any farther.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.