Outboard Permanence

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Capt Ronrico, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Capt Ronrico

Capt Ronrico Junior Member

I have been thimking of putting a 25-35 hp outboard in a well or enclosure for a sailboat. But space would be at a premium - so perhaps locating the engine in a permanently upright orientation, thus omitting the ability of tilting the o/b, could be a possibility. This means leaving the prop and lower end submerged permanently, I wonder if this is really any more destructive than the prop & shaft from an inboard which lives its entire working life submerged. I assume proper zincing and regular maintenance of course. Basically it's a sort of poor man's sail drive. Any ideas?

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It is not hard to contrive a system where a relatively light engine can be raised manually, without tilting. Leaving it in the water is a less attractive idea, imo.

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I gave mine a once-over once a year in the Florida Keys. New impeller, new lower unit anti-foul paint, and back in the well. The motor was about fifteen years old when I sold the boat, and it continued to run for several years after that. I wouldn't worry too much about the motor. But you do want to make sure you don't have any stray current on your boat exiting via the OB leg. We had a lovely new go-fast near us with triple 300's that sat on a lift, but the motors were left down and the owner used a normal car battery charger to float the batteries. After 1 month, you could pass a pool cue right through all three lower units.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.