Need help, need to find good/cheap source of Cold Mold Veneer?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by D.R. Maffei, Feb 22, 2009.

1. D.R. Maffei

D.R. Maffei New Member

Hi

Guys Need to find a good, cheap, source of Cold Mold veneers. Would love to se it in the US, and maybe in San Diego. But will ship form other locations?

Hami

2. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

How thick? normal seems to be 0.6mm or 1/42" but it varies. How much and is there any requirements as to what wood? I'd think the cheaper way is to use planks as the bulk of the laminate, the core, and cover with veneer.
    I used this shop here, they have small and larger batches, cheapest ones (for instance sapele, which I think is used in marine plywood) are about ten dollar per sqm. www.veneersupplies.com Haven't picked up from the post office yet. If you do search a bit here you might find someone who can tell you where to find bamboo plies for a bit cheaper?

3. D.R. Maffei

D.R. Maffei New Member

I will look into them

I'm looking for veneer for hul construction, it need to be more like 2mm/.08in, I would think a cedar would be nice.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Herr Dr. Maffei
    look here:
    http://www.globalwood.org/market/market.htm
    and:
    http://www.timberhunt.com/
    to find a source and some pricing info for Mexico.

Hope I could help
    Regards
    Richard

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

6. teakcell

teakcell Junior Member

I can slice for you teak, cedar (all burmese species) and can make spare parts cold molded if needed, We ship from Singapore. Please tell me more, length, grain ...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.