Need help: Mercruiser Alpha Gen II or Bravo II ??

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Bruce P, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Bruce P

Bruce P Junior Member

I am repowering my 32' cruiser (planing hull) with twin Mercruiser 5.0 MPI 260hp. Wet it will displace 12,000 to 14,000 depending on the number of people, fuel, etc. All decisions have been made except for the drive leg. I have the option of putting on new Alpha or Bravo II drives, where the Bravo option will cost about $3,000 more (total for both). Alpha is less money, less drag, weighs 120 pounds (total) less, and is limited to a 15" diameter prop. The Bravo II will swing a 20" prop. My mail goal is fuel economy and handling at a medium cruise speed.

What would you choose? I have asked a number mechanics and experts and have received 3 votes for the Alpha and 3 for the Bravo. I need to make this decision quickly and any replies would be greatly appreciated!

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Cheap is definitely wrong here. With 260 hp the Alpha is at its limits and will not live long because of wear and material fatigue. It does have less drag but that advantage is more than nullified by the slip of the smaller prop.

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Bravo II no question and dont forget to thank us after the first year, the second year and so on.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bruce P

Bruce P Junior Member

Thankyou for the response! That helps a lot. Anyone else before I pull the trigger?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

On a heavier boat, the Bravo will do better. It has better low end and better fuel economy in the mid range. Also, it is stronger.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.