Need help if possible.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mackid068, Mar 13, 2005.

1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I have a problem. Namely, I'm a poor artist (by which I mean I lack good drawing skills), but I love boat design and wish to be able to design my own boat. Also, I have a Mac running OS 10.3.8, so there isn't any sort of hull design software out for me. My idea is a small sailing dinghy (12, 14 or 16 ft. I can't decide!) modelled after Herreshoff's "Cape Cod Bull's Eye" as found on page 35 of Sail magazine's 2005 buyer's guide or on www.capecodshipbuilding.com/. Sorry, I don't have a scanner to scan in the pic, but a rough idea can be gotten from this: It's a sloop rigged (i think), 15'8" LOA sailboat with a beam of 5'10", 140 Sq. ft. sail area and I think it has an actual keel. It's really cool.

To continue, I'd like to make a 12, 14 or 16 footer sailing dinghy with a similar beam, probably 5', 5'6" and 6' respectively, with a sloop rig, tiller and an actual keel (NOT A CENTER or DAGGER board). In addition, a dory styled hull is preferable. Thanks guys. Please post hull drawings if possible.

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Practice, Practice, Practice. What's the Mac equivalent of the Windows Paint program?

3. mackid068

There isn't any. So I should just keep trying at the drawing? I shall.

4. nero

nero Senior Member

There are a few programs that you can run on Mac OSX. Look at TouchCAD. You can use Stratus 3D and VectorWorks. You could use Blender ... but it would be difficult. There is a free program called SDN. It was not stable enough for me.

And you have all the FEA and CFD programs that run on unix/fortran available to you.

I use TouchCAD and VectorWorks.

5. icetreader

icetreader Senior Member

Picture

Maybe you can take a picture of that boat with a digital camera - no need to scan it.

6. mackid068

I will do that when I have time. By the way, is a keel (Not a c or d board) ok for a small sailboat?

7. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.