need help - I want to build a classic boat

Discussion in 'Education' started by yaasaay, May 16, 2011.

1. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

This cannot be done without pictures friend.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need to use whatever the design calls for.

3. Deadeye

Deadeye Bender of Nails

The plans call for a decent grade of 1/4" ply for the sides and bottom so that's what you should use...at least for the first one you build. Personally, I'd look for a different plan if you want to plank it from solid wood.

For a deck, you might want to rip your plank into smaller strips. Because this design doesn't spec a deck and is already unstable, you need to be a bit careful about how much weight you add to it. I laminated some deck beams, laid on some longitudinal planks of 1/8" X 1 1/2" ply, laid another ply 90 degrees to that, then faired and glassed it.

Were I to do it again I would have chosen a different hull shape altogether, but I did learn lots by building that one and yeah....I had a bit of fun with it at the lake. If you build it according the plans, you should be able to complete it in a two-month span. Most of mine went together in a weekend, then I was trimming, glassing, painting, etc.

That plan is great to learn how to do stitch and glue, then you can get on to more adventurous designs.

4. yaasaay

yaasaay Junior Member

Deadeye thanks for your answer

5. Writer10

Writer10 New Member

It would take you almost 6 months to build one from scratch.Its better that you save up and get a new one. and one more thing it will cost you less if you buy a boat rather than making it on your own.

6. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

The guy is in Saudi Arabia, we have no idea what he can buy there.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

That board is much too thick for a canoe. The hull of the canoe should be no more than 7mm thick. 6mm is fine. Use plywood because it will be stronger. You can cust breasthooks and seat parts from the board you have.
    Refer to this for boat terminology:

http://www.glen-l.com/resources/glossary.html

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.