need help getting submerged engine running

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by REDSOXS1, Mar 11, 2006.

1. REDSOXS1

REDSOXS1 New Member

i have a 145hp mercruiser that was submerged completely last year do to heavy rains and flooding. im almost done replacing the deck and carpet and my next project is to get the engine running. im planning on replacing: the battery, alternator, starter, plugs and wires, distributer, all fluids and cleaning all electrical connections. my questions are how to fogg it, what to look for and if thats what i should do? by the way its an inboard outboard. thanks for the help!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you haven't taken care of a flooded engine after a day or so, it is probably only good as a rebuildable core. All the internal components are rusty by now. You can always dissasemble it and check it out. However, at the very least you'll have to rering, new oil pump, new lifters and all electrics. If you have no luck with it , I have a good one for sale.

3. REDSOXS1

REDSOXS1 New Member

the guy i bought this boat from said he fogged it, but he said it ran a little ruff and i havent had it running yet, mainly because i feel i should take it a part, like you said and see what it looks like. thanks for the help i'll keep your offer on my mind

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Check also the gimbal bearing. If the engine got flooded it also was full of water.

5. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Pull the heads and intake. check for rust then rebuild. Starting a rusted engine can do more damage. The general rule of thumb is if the engine is completly flooded after draining you have 5 min to get it running and up to temp or its junk. Done it a few times on my snowmobile.(love to drive on water)

6. rossmon1

rossmon1 Junior Member

I'm afraid they are all right on about the motor needing a rebuild, i have the same problem with my 4.3 mercruiser from heavy rains filling up the motor.
    I thought these things were supposed to be waterproof!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.