How can renewable energy affects boats designing?

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Architecture, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Architecture

Architecture New Member

2. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

I think one idea that shows great promise is wind energy. I'm imagining a system where airfoils are placed above the boat hull, to capture the wind energy and create lift. For reasons of practicality, these airfoils may need to be fabric suspended from spars. They would be adjustable for different wind directions and strengths. Propulsion by such a system could be called, hmmmmm, sailing?

3. Architecture

Architecture New Member

yes I agree with you , but can we rely on wind energy only or can we use more than source of energy to cover the whole process

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think you are discovering America. If you read any history book you will realize that it is already discovered.
    Now seriously, did you hear talk of the rigid sails or Flettner rotor? : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotor_ship

5. Architecture

Architecture New Member

thank you this link is very informative :)

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

I've long thought that small boats should probably employ LTD Stirling heat engines for air circulation needs.

At least where AC isn't called for.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've played with displacement engines (Sterling, etc.) for some years and the problem with boats, water and air is the temperature difference isn't large enough, to make it reasonable to consider.

To directly answer the question, lots of effort and consideration has and is being used in yacht design, in regard to renewable resources.

8. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

Hot Air Engines

Adding to PAR's comments, even with BIG temperature differentials (fired engines burning fuels), which increase the output of Stirling engines by orders of magnitude, these machines are far too heavy and low powered for any practical boat applications. Not even practical for a small ventilation fan.

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Well, not that I'd use a well-proven diesel or a gas engine to power a small ventilation fan either. :p ;)

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Architecture: energy can not be destroyed or created that is the First Law of Thermodynamics as described by Newton. Fossil fuels are solar energy that is stored in chemical form. Transfer of energy, by humans or any other means, will not change that. I think you are confusing the politics and religion of energy use with science. Energy can not be renewed. It can be accumulated and used in different ways though.

11. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Tim, the Toolman, Taylor (Tim Allen, Home Improvement) shakes his head at your lack of zeal for "more power".

Stirling is adequate for fans.

Not necessarily much else, though. I hope no one was thinking I was saying it was.

12. PAR

The displacement engine type has some uses, particularly in stationary engines, where flexibility isn't required.

13. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

The decreasing cost of solar and improvements in battery technology will continue to make new things possible. Sails and solar could be complimentary if the shading issues from the sails can be overcome. Kite sails and solar might be a way to go.

14. PAR

15. WSW2016

WSW2016 Junior Member

Maybe using Wind Sun and Waves energies when possible?

All we need is speed!!! (and love) otherwise people are not much interested in using "green" energy.

One attempt to design a fast boat using only accessible on board energy's can be find on my site:

www.wabes2015sailboat.n.nu

The idea is using all 3 sources of energy like wind, solar and waves energy by one system especially designed for that purpose.
    This system will collect the harvested energy in batteries which might be used
    to provide more boat speed when need?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.