Need help for designing fast craft catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by markviscara02, Aug 2, 2015.

1. markviscara02

markviscara02 New Member

Good day to all. I would like to ask if there are any books on how to design a catamaran type of ship , my plan is around 40m with atleast 100 passengers. And a fast craft one. It would really be of great help if received pdf files or online books on how to design a catamaran hull. I need this for my thesis. Thank you and have a great day.

PS: you can contact me on markviscara02@yahoo.com :D

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Really? You're thinking about designing a 120', 100 passenger vessel, right out of the box or do you have some yacht design experience under your belt?

3. markviscara02

markviscara02 New Member

Sad to say but no , I don't have any experience in yacht design, and yes I do plan on designing a cat passenger.. I still haven't decided on the length yet so it still varies.. This is my first time making a multi hull vessel so I really am not sure of what to do. fyi, I am still a student, and knowledge on naval architecture is just moderate in my school so I gather as much information as I can through the internet. I would really appreciate if you could help me, Thank you for replying! :)

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The first thing I want to clarify, though certainly markviscara02 already knows, is that experience in yacht design is not necessary to design a passenger vessel of 100 passengers. They are totally different things.
    That said, markviscara02 if you send me more information about your ship, it is very possible that I can help you. I prefer to communicate by email for obvious reasons.

5. PAR

I'd have to say designing a 120', 100 passenger vessel as your first out of the box, seems simply absurd, even if simply a hypothetical concept. It's one thing to work up some rudimentary GA's for such a craft, but hitting all the requirements for such a vessel, without a full grasp on what's involved, is just asking for failure. The only way something like this might work is if, the reviewer of your thesis is as skilled as you, on the various subjects involved.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There isn't any one book or software that will make up for years of study. A project of that magnitude usually takes a group of engineers/naval architects to do it. There are many specialties involved. There are designers with many years of experience that may be able to tackle the whole project, but a team will take at least a year, so you are looking at several years to complete it alone.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not know what has been the experience of other technicians. What I can say is that the project I had to do to get my graduation was that of a refrigerator ship of 120 m in length, with an enormous volume of cold cellar and 24 knots. He had not planned before or yachts or small boats. This may seem absurd to some, but it is not. In my studies I am not beginning to project a small boat, then a larger one, etc., are beginning to project a boat of some kind, and the size was not important. Maybe I've been taught to do things backwards, but it has proved very practical to me. At the end of my career, as a distraction, I started designing small boats. I find it very comfortable and easy.
    Basic design of a 100 passengers ship, 20 or 24 meters, need not at all a team of engineers, naval architects, etc., it is usually a technical office with a naval architect and 2 or 3 specialized draftsmen. If the naval architect can draw, and has time, he does not need anybody else.
    The basic project can not cost more than six weeks. Another thing different, as are the prices today, it would be ruinous.
    I do not want to argue with anyone but this is what I have done for the past 15 years.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The piping alone for a 40 m passenger vessel will take a month to design. Then there is all the machinery, HVAC, electrical layout, engineering for slamming loads/etc., class classification, propeller or jet calculations, scantlings and construction details, deck layout, fire protection, and more. If you claim to be a naval architect that can do that in six weeks, it seems hard to believe.

9. markviscara02

markviscara02 New Member

Thank You All for the feedback!! :D

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

What is hard to believe it is that you do not understand what I say. And I will not say any more so you do not learn.

11. PAR

When the questions start of with "how to design a catamaran", you just have to wonder, what level of understanding this poster might have. Then these questions continue on to free (apparently) books and PDF's, well it seems a bit ambitious to say the least.

Maybe another way of looking at. TANSL, when you had to design a 120 m refer ship, just prior to graduation, were you asking how to design the hull and if there were any free books or PDF's available to help you design this nearly 400' long ship?

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The hull is a small part of the whole design package on a ship that size. The several systems, piping, etc. can easily triple the time.

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

PAR, at that time no PDF files or forums like this but there we were many technical journals and were used to figure things out for ourselves. After several years studying, I did not need to ask anyone what books or where to find information. It seems that today's students do not trust in themselves and find it more comfortable to ask before they themselves seek the answer. But I fear that in the world of superinformación in which we find ourselves, that's inevitable. As we all know, many professions are losing their essence.
    Not for PAR : Everyone who has designed something in his life know that there is what is called a basic engineering, where are studied and solved certain problems of the ship and development engineering where the structure, equipment and systems are designed and made schemes and the construction plans. In the first stage the necessary electric power is calculated without the cable ducts are drawn. In the first step the power of the pumps and pipe diameters of wells, for example, is calculated but not the "isometric" are drawn. By contrast, in the second stage no cross stability curves are calculated, nor load conditions. In the first step a body lines plane with, for example, 20 frames are used while in the second stage you must draw a plane with every one of the constructive frames, maybe 300 or more frames.
    All this is obvious, I can not believe I have to explain to people, but does not say it clearly, hinting that has designed boats.
    In either case, within my means and knowledge, I will try to clarify some issues and concepts to everyone who needs it.

14. PAR

Agreed TANSL, we both learned in a different era and gathering data, information, etc. was simply a matter of course, the old fashion way, by "looking it up" as my parents said countless times. Maybe you're right in that these latest generations find it simpler to just ask an undocumented information source (the internet) and hope the information they're getting is accurate. Personally, I have a real problem with this method, but it does appear to be very common now, especially in certain parts of the world. This scares the hell out of me, to think that engineering or design concepts are based on the rantings of some undocumented online source, rather than the understanding that comes with study and personal research.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.