Rigid Buoyancy Boats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Portager, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Portager

Portager Senior Member

I’ve been looking at the rigid buoyancy boats (RBB) as a possible tender for “Portager”. RBB look and perform like a rigid inflatable boat (RIB) except the entire boat is rigid. The advantage of the RBB, relative to a RIB, is the rigid material provides superior durability relative to sun and ozone exposure and reduced vulnerability to sharp rocks etc. while beaching. The RBB also maintains the stability and sea worthiness of the RIB, although it does give up the natural bumper and the ability to reduce space requirements by deflating.

Some people question the wisdom of a rigid boat emulating the shape of an inflatable boat. Although it is true that you can gain additional interior space by departing from the circular sponson shape, maintain the structurally efficient shape of the RIB allows the RBB to retain the weight advantage of the RIB. In addition, due to the higher strength to weight ratio of aluminum relative to inflatable materials, aluminum RBB can be slightly lighter that RIBs.

I have been seriously considering the 3.3 meter RBB made by Ocean Craft http://www.oceancraft.org/ in Caloundra, Australia and I am wondering if any list members have had any experience with these boats or the company that makes them.

I have compared the cost of the Ocean Craft 3.3m RBB plus shipping to the port of Los Angeles to that of a generic RIB at www.westmarine.com and it is about 25% lower. Combining the lower initial cost, with its minimal maintenance requirements and longer useful life the RBB appears to be a good value. It is also about 10% lighter than the generic RIB and a comparable Zodiac RIB. The Ocean Craft can be pressurized (which may make it more dent resistant) or filled with closed cell foam (although this option makes it heavier than a RIB). It can also be customized with hard attachment points and a “D” section foam bumper around the perimeter.

I would appreciate any comments and/or recommendation that any list members care to provide either online or by private message.

Thanks for your assistance;
    Mike Schooley

2. Scary_Des

Scary_Des Junior Member

Your general argument makes good sense but it over looks the fact the boats are quite different.

One of the characteristics of a RIB is that because the sponson can ‘give’ a little you get an improved ride, it works like a shock absorber. And although I do not claim to be an expert I have used both types of boat and found the RIB a better ride and more sea kindly I take your points about durability but I must say that you will find 10 year old grey Avons still with their original tubes. I think the durability question re ozone and sun bleaching comes up because of cheaper materials that were tried by some boat manufactures but I think if you aim for Hypolon and a tried and tested colour such as grey you can’t go far wrong.

It is a misapprehension to think that the tubes on a RIB can be used as a large fender, they are not designed for that and will let you down if treated as such.
    An additional feature is that in a boat of this size people tend to sit on the gunwales and find it more comfortable to sit on an inflatable tube than a hard surface.
    Des

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

We have a 25 year old Beaufort ( no longer in business ) which still has its original tubes. Also an 8 year old Avon rib, which looks like it will go just as long. What Inflatables of any description don't like is things like oyster shells or barnacles. They slice the tube. After too much of this, the tube becomes 'porous' - filled with so many holes / cuts that it becomes impossible to repair.
    BTW, how did you get on finding info out from Ocean Craft?

4. brett aust

brett aust Guest

5. Principal Typhoon Boats

Hello.

You might like to take a look at www.typhoonboats.com.au

I wonder whether you could describe the foam filled bumper rail to me.

Regards Wayne.

6. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Hmm....

I have to say, a RIB is nice for cushioning, but safety-wise, the "RBB" is best. Check out bossboats.com. Final reason: Rigid means more space, but less comfort.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.