Need help designing: Small Stable Workboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by magnumcalib, Mar 15, 2011.

1. magnumcalib

magnumcalib Junior Member

Alright here's the deal, I've got a private lake that I like to fish and such on. I have a good 12 foot row boat with trolling motor (and a few modifications to fulfill my geek side :D ) I am looking to build a boat out of plywood (stitch and glue most likely),

-it needs to be stable for 1-2 people work on (or maybe 3-4 to ride on some what comfortably)

-Stable so that I can walk on desk and lower a weighted object off the side of the deck (we've got Moorings we're installing, rather, I am installing...)

-Somewhat cheap, light weight, doesn't need to be very powerful

-possibly be moved with oars
    -" " be carried via the boat rack in my truck (wheel well base is 4 feet, too skinny for a boat?")

I've got a rack that inserts into the trailer hitch and can allow you to put a 16 foot boat in there safely (by law I guess)

I am kind of considering a pontoon or Catermaran design but am wondering if there is a good mono hull design I could use. I honestly like the feel of a mono hull better but I don't know if I can come close to the stability of a pontoon in anyway.

Summary of wants: truck mountable, small power, 4 people MAX, stable, plywood construction, somewhat cheap.

Honestly my budget is $300, what can I say, I'm a full time student attending college to become a cop, I ain't got too much money laying around...haha.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Magnumcalib - out.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Look for an old 13 ft Boston Whaler , patch it up.

Way better performance , life and utility.

WILL EVEN HAVE A RESALE VALUE!

A TRAILER NEEDS A PLATE , BUT NO INSURANCE so is easier/cheaper than a tailgate boat

FF

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

could you post a pic of that rack?

I'm having a hard time understanding it.

Or could you post a link to who sells it or a pic from "google images" of similar?

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A small, easy to build, cheap, truck bed boat might be the PDR. It is called the puddle duck racer and simplified to PDR. Just dial that up on google and you will find the plans. The little beastie is butt ugly but pretty practical for fulfilling certain needs as noted above.

5. magnumcalib

I'm not worried about looks by any means. I need something fairly cheap that can do what I need it to, that is to haul me and about 200 extra pounds of supplies, at a decent speed (faster than the current we'll put it that way) and float.

Thanks Messabout I'll check out the PDR or use the general schematics and design a craft off from that.

If anyone else has an idea here is a better description of what I need:

A small (hopefully tail gate able boat) either mono hull (i'm thinking something flat bottom for stability) or a pontoon type design. Carry me, and either another person or 2, OR extra weight in the form of mooring bricks.

6. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Hi,
    I have a 4,5 m Fishing Boat currently on my drawing board that could fit your bill. It's a flat bottomed Boat ( 1,15m bottom width) with flaring sides for low resistence and high end-stability. Its designed for 5HP max. power. Plywood, (3 sheets of 1/4' and 2 sheets of 3/8', or one size up for workboat use with good exterior ply), stich&glue or screw&glue construction. Beside flotation tanks fore and aft ist has an open interior.

Grreeetings from the North Sea Coast, Michel

Attached Files:

7. liki

liki Senior Member

8. magnumcalib

Hey Messabout, I'm totally going with the PDR, it is absolutely what I want (and strangely I used the same process at work just the other day to build some sound panels!)

2 questions (rather opinions are need)

A) Would it be alright to put the cabin in the bag? I'd turn it more into a pilot house compared to a cabin probably. In addition I'd build a small deck up front with hull storage and extra flotation under neath, the reason for a raised deck...as sad as it is, is so my girlfriend can tan when we're out on the lake. Also, I think that the tiny bit of extra weight in the aft would probably help keep the stern lower wouldn't it? (and the curve of the hull would still be towards the bow.

B) any ideas on making the bow less boxy? I'm sure I could figure out a way to utilize the square bow but yeah...it sure does look ugly.

9. magnumcalib

Sorry to double post but here is a really rough example of what I am thinking of doing (as for the cabin the stern or aft pat of the boat)

isle-sur-sorgue-antiques.com/fun/british-isles/narrow-boats-Black-Country-Worcestershire.jpg (link no longer valid)

10. Murky Deep

Murky Deep Junior Member

I know I am bumping an old thread. Luckystrike, any chance you still have plans for the angelboot?

Thank you

11. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Hello Murky,
    the model has long gone and the drawings, in those days done on paper with pencil, are not up to date. But it is no problem to set up a similar boat with cad. I still have the concept catalogue and the first scetches.

Let me know if you are interested.

Have fun, Michel

12. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Murky, you might find a suitable plan 'off the shelf' here -
    Spira Boats - Wood Boat Plans, Wooden Boat Plans https://spirainternational.com/hp_wood_boats.html

Here is a free set of plans for a punt just under 16' long -
    A 15'8" fishing punt | Free Boat Plans https://hvartial.kapsi.fi/wpunt/wpunt.htm

Various types of jon boats, garveys et al from Duckworks -
    Prams & Garveys https://www.duckworks.com/category-s/452.htm

Re the link below, have a look at the 'rowboats, 15ft - 16ft' section -
    Free list of 500 plus rowing boat plans http://www.tackingoutrigger.com/rowboat3.html

Sam Devlin's Drifter - there are many other types of boats in his catalogue as well.
    Drifter 15 https://devlinboat.com/drifter-15/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.