Design thoughts on a 9" wooden Sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by JohnBloch, Jun 12, 2006.

1. JohnBloch

JohnBloch Yeah...

Hello... I am trying to Design and build a 9" Sailboat...

I know some of the basics of sailing, and basics of boat parts.... but... Im not quite sure how this is all going to work out...

First, My Sketches....

[​IMG]

one square= half foot

I have NO CLUE wether or not these are on par with anything at all... I just threw something out there...

You think I should Have 3 chines like that? or 2? and make it a flat bottom for an easyer build?

I wanted the Transom to have a spot for a rudder and a 2 horse outboard (and no, its not that big... and Im not ashamed of having one on their either... like some sailors i know...)

and an explination for wideness...

well... not really any... but it would be nice to be able to fit two people in it... comforatbly...

How do you think the wide design will effect speed/stability?

Should I have the Centerboard somewhere else? or is it in a good spot?

also, I have the mast in 2 different spots on the profile drawing... which do you think is better? farther up in the bow? or farther back?

Im basically looking for a quick and stable little boat for two....

also... Im going to need A LOT of help learning to build it... I know i need marine grade plywood (or at least, thats what Im going to use) and the hard part is making the spine, or ribs...

but other than that... I know nothing...

thanks for all your help...

PS... If this thread needs to be moved, please inform me...

Thanks!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.