Prop Thrust Calcs / Bow Thrusters

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jocko_nc, Apr 20, 2004.

1. jocko_nc

jocko_nc New Member

Hey all. Great forum, glad I found it.

I have been searching the net for prop thrust calcs with little success... Does anyone have basic relationship between diameter, rpm, pitch and thrust? Real-world rules of thumb? I need ballpark figures to check viability of a concept, to see if I am even close.

What I am trying to get to is the approximate performance of a bow thruster. I am looking at the suitability of a unique hydraulic motor that would, more or less, deliver 12-14 hp at 500-600 rpm direct-drive. Assuming that the market expects to see such a thruster in a 10-12 inch tube, can a single prop (10-12 inch also) convert torque to "max" thrust at that low rpm? I assume a larger diameter is unacceptable. What final drive speed do current thrusters operate? Are they gear-reduced, electric, hydraulic, both? Is 500-600 rpm a "sweet" speed for a prop? What do I need to consider?

Thanks in advance for your input.

jocko

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.