Need Designer

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by pengreg, Mar 11, 2005.

1. pengreg

pengreg Junior Member

OK so I now know its not so easy to add a wheelhouse or move a jibstay and I think I need an Architect - my question is how do I go about getting one? Will a designer take on an existing yacht? What can I hope/expect from him? and what is he likely to expect from me?

This is for the 35' steel - I would like someone who knows what they are doing to measure her offsets, plot the hull on some clever simulator and come back with clear positions for ballast and sails, and drawings for alterations.

The two guys I spoke to sounded interested but hav'nt phoned back. Am I expecting too much?

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Hi Pengreg :)

Contact me by e-mail and we can discuss what you what, and maybe I can help you out.
    "Moenie oor geld bekommerd wees nie, dit gaan oor om iemand te help"

3. pengreg

pengreg Junior Member

Angename kennis! I was hoping you might respond. I have just bought this steel multi-chine 35'. She was designed in 78 by "Colin Childs (?)" and built in NZ. She has since completed two circumnavigations. I have just been pegging out the back yard for her arrival in a few weeks time for a complete refit and possibly some modifications - it should be an interesting project

all the best
    Greg

4. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

can you forward the needed info electronically? I can run some numbers if you have the right info.

5. pengreg

pengreg Junior Member

Regret I would not know what the right info is to send! I do not have the hull offsets on CAD if thats what you need. I have no drawings except for a sketch I will try and include it.

I would describe her as a 35' hard (single!) chine aft cockpit with a full keel and transom hung rudder - some measurements are:

length overall 10.85m
    waterline 9.5m
    keel length 4.5m
    Draught 1.3m
    Displacement 10Tonne??
    Ballast ???

Thanks for your response addict

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.