need design assistance for sharpie

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dirtybeard, Jul 9, 2007.

1. dirtybeard

dirtybeard Junior Member

am rebuilding a tom colvin designed sharpie. 26 foot, plywood, round stern. have stripped out all the rot, and am finishing the hull repairs.

Have removed the centerboard and trunk (rot all to hell and gone), and am now going to rebuild.

I will put on a hassler math'ed junk rig, 2 masts, mainmast, aft. Will have leeboards.

Now need some deck/and cabin trunk design ideas. I wish to bolgerize this and put in extra freeboard, then a full standing head room cabin.

Any good images available for new design for deck/cabins?

pict of the sharpie at

www.halfpasthuman.com/sharpie/sharpie1.htm

thanks. will check in later.

also need advice on weight of sail cloth. Figured 3.5 oz initially but that may be too light? And was going to go tanbark in color. Is oceanus worth the price? thanks.

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Sharpies tend to be shallow, especially at 26 feet. Unless you are very short, you will have major problems fitting a full standing headroom cabin. It would be unsightly & more imortantly, would cause the boat to be top heavy and unstable. Full headroom is usually considered to be 6 feet.

Take care.

Tim

3. dirtybeard

dirtybeard Junior Member

not to be contrary, but duh....
    this opinion is well known. However, bolger sharpies, and NIS sharpies out of australia are 6 foot head room. AND massive freeboard.

They are not top heavy. That thinking is when all boats were constructed of plank on plank even decking, and cabins.

Unslightly....well there is always hog fish lips... the boat.

And it sails damn well.

Just looking for some images of flush deck, and tall cabin boats for inspiration.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Bolgerizing the boat will be a good idea. His stuff works. None of the Bolger sharpies, in the size range of yours, have standing head room. Some have easy standing/walking access fore and aft by cutting a section out of the mid top. See Birdwatcher, Big And Tall and others. He offsets the tabernacle on such boats so that the mast is not in the way of the passageway. No problem.

Lee boards are not only workable but entirely adequate in this type of boat. See Bolger Black Skimmer which is about the same size as your boat. Old Phils method of attaching the boards on the Skimmer is devilishly clever and absolutely efficient. It is merely a short piece of rope with a knot in each end. With that method you don't even need to tend the weather board after a tack. Just let it goosewing. You can pull it up if you want to.

If the forefoot of your boat is above the waterline then use another Bolger feature. Drill a few hundred holes in the forepeak bottom add a bulkhead and let the compartment flood. There is no deck atop this compartment. At first thought this seems a crackpot idea. It turns out to be a shrewd move that adds much to the comfort of the boat. Among other things it washes the muddy anchor and rode quite clean when underway. It is also a nifty place to take a warm shower. (Use one of the plastic water bags suspended from the mast) The private parts of the ones body are below the sheer line and one can stand naked in confidence that modesty will be preserved. The aft compartment of the Skimmer is also flooded. The little outboard will surely leak a few drops of fuel. The small flooded compartment washes the stinky mess away. Not an ecological permissable feature these days, but I assure you that it works and makes the boat more pleasant to live with.

Black Skimmer has all these little ides as well as a cabin that is entirely satisfactory with berths for two. It is almost worth the price for a set of plans to get the details of this stuff. No I do not own a Skimmer but I have spent several days pottering about in Florida Bay on one of them. The boat will sail, not just float, in 12 inches of water. You have a sharpie that will probably come close to equalling the "Bolger Box".

If you are into simplicity or are a bit lazy, then consider the traditional sprit boom sails in a yawl layout. Way more fun than a junk rig with all those brails and not nearly as much weight aloft as a Junk rig. The sprit rig can be reefed or furled easily if you let the mast freely rotate. Try that with a junk rig. I'm thinking the Sprit yawl will go to weather better too. That'll probably start an argument, but more's the fun.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Hey! Whassamatter with you guys? I post some commentary and everyone thereafter ignores the thread. Do I need to check my deodorant or something? I was hoping to start a controversy about sail choice, flooded compartments, lee boards and all that stuff.

Dirtybeard has "fetched a boat off a mountain". Surely he deserves some comments for his effort. I have some vague recollection about another bearded dude named Noah and his boat on a mountain top.

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

He hurt my feelings with the "duh" comment. :)

Figured he knew more than me & did not need my advice.

Winds do not usually blow up here from your way, so I have no knowledgeable comment on your deoderant.

Take care Messabout.

Tim

7. Lassuuu

Lassuuu Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.