sail cloth

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Dreamsailoring, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Dreamsailoring

Dreamsailoring Junior Member

Building a small 1- ft sailboat for my kids. Where can I get sails for the boat? Don't care about color. Can I buy it read to use or is it easier to just buy sail cloth and make it.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

3. Dreamsailoring

Dreamsailoring Junior Member

Sorry I missede keyed it is a TEN FT sailing dinging.
    Thank you

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Oh...then go to your local sailing club and put up a sail wanted notice. Dingy racers replace sails every season. The old ones are still plenty good...a bit of scissor work and some stitching and presto...

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Google sail fabrics. There is an outfit ....I think it is Sailright that specializes in amateur built sails and all the materials needed. Also, Duckworks may have what you need. If you want to get by cheaply you can use Tyvek, the stuff that home builders use. It makes a decent sail but not a long lasting one. Last resort is blue tarp material. Ugly but it will work.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.