Can you tell me what kind of boat I have?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by meshe1lster, Oct 10, 2009.

1. meshe1lster

meshe1lster New Member

Picked this boat up from a tow yard auction for a price too low to pass up! Problem is that I need the space where the boat is for another great deal on a vehicle I picked up the same way...so I am looking to sell the boat, but I don't know anything about it! The lien sale paperwork I recieved form Tow Yard does not give make, model or year! Could someone please help me identify so I can confidently sell this boat for a great price! It has a 90HP Mercury Motor, the numbers on the boat are CF 0116 CY (registered in california) and it has a Bikini Top? and something someone referred to as an electronic tilt???? I am adding photo(s) in hope of a rapid response! Thanks in advance!
    P.S. Is $600 a fair asking price for this boat that runs good and trailer?

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How about a photo or a hull number?

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

How about both?

4. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Sounds like a Swan 90, congratulations.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

On the upper right hand corner of the transom (the boat's butt) there will be a number cast directly into the plastic, if built after 1974. This is the HIN (Hull Identification Number) which is just like your car's (which is called VIN for Vehicle Identification Number). The first three letters to this number will be the manufacture's prefix code. Armed with this code, you can go to the USCG's web site and look up the manufacture of your boat.

The CF number on the bow of the boat, is the state registration number. This doesn't change during the life of the boat, so contacting the local DMV may prove fruitful for previous owners, make, year model, etc.

Other then this, you are clearly in way over your head. No disrespect, but no one here can tell anything about a boat they can't see or have any real information about. Since you don't know even the most basic aspects of this sort of thing, I suggest you sell it as quickly as possible, so you don't get hosed any further. I'll take a guess and say it's a Bay Liner, Capri 18.

6. meshe1lster

meshe1lster New Member

I apologize for not posting the photos imediately and thank you all for your help. I have since done some research on my own and have found a small plate that was most likely removed (or fell?) and had wedged its way in between the seat cushions. It provided me with the information I was looking for and I have since posted the boat for sale and am recieving numerous calls for viewing tomorrow.

To the person who made the comment that I was in way over my head...let me tell you this much my friend....I bought this boat at auction for $50 dollars and am selling it for $650 without ever putting a time just a little research time into it and if that makes me in over my head then I welcome it! have a nice day and thank you all for your help HAPPY BOATING!

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

And what was it now? Swan and Bayliner are out of question I guess, and Lührssen makes better seats.

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

It's a MOTORBOAT ! :D

Seen similar or maybe the same thing but don't know the hull name.

You are the one asking the questions. Chances are you may never find the real hull name, and since there are so many of these hull's I'd say you are in over your head.

Proudly screwing your fellow man... it's the only way some get agead.

9. Red Tide

Red Tide Junior Member

$650 for a boat that runs well isn't "screwing your fellow man." No one forced the buyer to hand over his money! If the original poster hadn't have gotten the great deal, maybe it would have been chipped into a landfill right now.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.