Need Bottom Help

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bulletproof, Oct 8, 2009.

1. bulletproof

bulletproof New Member

Hey guys, i have a great first post for ya!
    I currently own a 1989 31' Cigarette Bullet and have owned it for 9 years. I have done alot to it through this time and really enjoy the boat. It started out as a stock power setup w/ twin 365 horse engines and a top speed of a little over 60mph. I am currently powering with twin 725 horse engines. the last setup i ran was in the 650 horse range and i saw 86mph top end. my problem is the handeling of this boat. at around 65mph with avg trim the boat will start to porpoise in smooth water and worsen as speed increases. the 86 mph speed came in relatively smooth water and the boat likes alot of positive trim. the higher i trimmed, the faster she went but also the more unstable. My new task is to blueprint the bottom of the hull which is a deep vee w/ a notched transom. the hull currently only has one set of strakes which are approx 18" in from the sides. the rest of the running surface is just smooth. there are some strakes on the front closer to the keel but they are real small and taper out before you even get to the running surface on plane. My hopes are to add a set of lifting strakes to the running surface to stabilize the boat and get it out of the water more to increase top speed without tons of trim. I would appreciate any help and advise i can get and i can take pictures of the hull for review.
    Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you needing someone to modify the hull for you or is it a DIY? The structure of the boat may need reinforcing. The early cigarrete hulls would crack at the strakes but were changed later. I don't remember which years they were. You could contact Sonny Miller, he raced extensively and has a yard in St. Augustine. www.cal500.com

3. bulletproof

bulletproof New Member

thanks for the reply. i have someone to do the glass work. would like to hire someone on the engineering and design side. the hull is sound and has no cracks at all. just looking to improve on older design. not interested in anything radical like steps but thought some strakes may be an affordable option w/ a big bang for the buck.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Give him a call he is very experienced in high performance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.