ISO-3 or 4mm 1088 or equivalent plywood nearest Nashville

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Wade Patton, May 23, 2017.

1. Wade Patton

Wade Patton Junior Member

I'm building a kayak with bendy bends to be fully encased in FG, but I am assured I'll have problems with lauan-type sheets. I may yet try them-anticipating much waste, but that adds time.

I don't mind paying for the honest-to-gosh marine-grade sheets, but wonder what the closest options are as I'm going to have arrange shipment/do it myself. It totally slipped my mind when down on the Gulf Coast last week (I had fish to catch and camp to tend). I won't be back there until October and would like to has boat completed by then.

I searched to no avail.

2. Wade Patton

Can buy it from CLC for $62 per sheet (3 sheets) plus $125 shipping-or 150 shipping if I get the "area" surcharge.

Or Free Shipping over $350 order...hmm maybe someone else wants to make boat in my area.

*Boat kits, trailer kits, sculling oars, SUP paddles, greenland paddles, drop-in rowing units, kayak and small boat dollies, rubrails, nonskid flooring, lumber, plywood, MAS Economy Kits, and other bulky and oversized items are not eligible for free shipping. oops nevermind.

Still curious how far a good supplier is, in case I was traveling or my truck-driving pal could pick something up for me. Most of the options I've found so far are 8-12 hours one-way.

3. Wade Patton

Lost a big wordy post to a power outage so here's a recap:

Decided to get four sheets such that I can make two boats and reduce the shipping per sheet cost. The second boat only requires one sheet. Here are the boats.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes they are tiny personal craft, but this is the sort of boating I do most of now days. Hope to work my way back up to larger craft. I especially want to get back to sailing. And think that if things go splendidly well for the next dozen or 20 years, that I'd like to retire to a live-a-board Ketch or Trawler or somesuch as needs/location dictate.

4. Wade Patton

Found 3mm ply for 21 dollars less per sheet. Only 6 more dollars shipping. Kerching! That pays for the extra sheet to make second design.

I hate shopping, rather be making-but need to keep things "economical". ;)

Oh wow, found more suppliers, more options, more shipping quotes requested. Now to go meet more local sawyers. Must have more boats!

Last edited: May 26, 2017
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.