Need advices about pourable foam

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jfblouin, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

I just buy 2 parts pourable foam for my boat. My seller dont really know how to use it.

What is your suggestions?

Can I heat part A and part B up to 100F before mixing them to have better expansion?

What is the best quantity for mixing part A and B?

What kind of pot and mixing device are best for mixing?

Do you have special hints?

I'm affraid to use this product!!!

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

That's okay! My french is so embarassing I won't even try here. :)

Who makes the foam you bought? It would be easy to find out how much to mix if I knew the name.
    Heating the foam is a bad idea.
    Having a warm workpiece is a good idea.
    Use Golves!
    Don't breathe it!! Modzeee!!! DON"T BREATHE IT IN!!!! They KILL RATS with this stuff. Do it outside! It stinks!!!Like dead fish!!!
    Don't get it on you!!
    You can mix it in anything. You have to pour it right away anyway. I'd use a coffee can and some old soup cans.

3. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

In what part of the boat are you using this stuff?
    You know that anything other than polystyrene foam (Styrofoam) will absorb moisture and turn into a big sponge. I wouldn't use it anyplace below the waterline! I would think hard about it's use at all, certainly NOT in any large quanitys.
    There are several densitys of polyurethane (pourable) foam. none of it has a very good "flotation" to weight ratio. It adds weight, holds moisture & promotes rot & corrosion. Be careful in it's use in a marine enviroment. Darn, huh!... and it's SO damn convienent & appears to be the answer to so many design areas. NOPE, sorry.:(

4. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I have seen some saturation tests with a newer urethane formulation. It looks pretty good. The saturation test was a 48hr test though.

5. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Lets hold good wishes for the new stuff because a "pourable" marine spec foam would be great. Sadly, I learned about this type the hard way a few years back.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.