Is there a online site for a noobie sailer to lean a bit?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Quatsino Boater, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Quatsino Boater

Quatsino Boater Junior Member

Hi , I am new to the forums and I am wondering if you could direct me to an internet site where there might be specific sailing information for the type of sail plan I might be owning?

I am 2 years out from building a fully displaced, full keel beebe style power boat around 35 to 45 feet in length. I am in my early fifties and have been a powerboat user all my life. With my coming retirement my need for speed, (planing boats) will no longer be required. With rising fuel prices and a single engine, sails just make sense to me. I have little to no experience with sails, but I would like a back up to a single deisel so with talks with designers and my buddy who built his own 36 foot ketch, I have decided on a schooner rig.

What I need is some basic terminology and to get comfortable where everything is on a schooner sail plan. The rig will be handled by myself and my wife. I would like to get as much info and get comfortable proir to the build. I have bought the book sailing for dummies and while it is getting me used to some aspects of sailing I would like a schooner rig specific information. I live in a remote inlet and I am a member of the local yacth club. There is only one sailboat owner and its a sloop rig. I will try to pick his brain abit too. Any information, drawing ,sketches,pics and instructions in a non technical way for a newbie to understand would be much appreiciated:)
    thanks guys/gals

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hmmm... a problem....the internet is overflowing with sailing info and blogs. Whether any of it is interesting, relevant or worthwhile is another question.

So many sites are endeavouring to sell you something by passing on a tidbit of knowlege.

Ill keep my eyes open for an informative site this week.

The classic book "Sail Power" by Wallace Ross is worth purchasing.

3. Quatsino Boater

Quatsino Boater Junior Member

I'll get a copy of it.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.