need a new alternator

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by powerstrokeaaro, May 2, 2010.

1. powerstrokeaaro

powerstrokeaaro New Member

I have a v drive mercruiser 5.7L centurion that has been sitting for a long time. I am trying to get it going again and my alternator is siezed so I need a new one. Are marine alternators different from automotive ones? Could I just get one from the auto parts store or are the marine ones designed differently?

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

There are two real differences between marine and automotive alternators, if it is worth switching is really up to you. Marine alternators are supposed to be rated to operate without creating any sparks, which means in an enclosed gassoline engine room it won't ignite any of the fuel vapors. The second design issue has to do with the regulator. Auto alternators are only designed to replace the power drained from a starting battery by the engine and small parasitic uses, while marine alternators are able to recharge deep cycle house batteries used for everything from refrigirators to inverters.

Since you have a gassoline enclosed engine, my advice is to pop for the marine one, and just recognize that it is part of owning a boat. :(

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.