Navigation Lighting Multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by BobBill, Jan 13, 2015.

1. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

I have read the CG rules and some state rules like Virginia...but questions remain.

Sailing outriggers. One hull is the hull or main hull. The outrigger can vary from a second large hull to a low, narrow almost stick-like thing.

Okay, most states will accept registration on outside of hull and outrigger, or main hull, as practical.

What about lights as practical and safe?

Port/starboard on the main hull, or outside of each?

Stern light in center on a beam or aka or main hull?

Or, if under 18' all lights on mast underway undersail, even if a stubby and on main hull?

Maybe minor, but with number of fairly ignorant power boats on some lakes today, it might be wise to be sure, without resorting to lighting up sail with torch...

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Masthead navigation lights are the best solution for small craft.

3. R.Finn

R.Finn Junior Member

True, but not on a rotating mast.

4. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Aye, Mr. Finn, aye. I had seen on the CG regs...I kinda wanted to do with dual lights on top.

Michael has a point and I am leaning toward temp nav lights on main hull or the vaca only. Simpler install and so on, either up top or down.

5. R.Finn

R.Finn Junior Member

You could use your shrouds with a rotating mast, as long as you don't have a sail that overlaps them, and if you could keep them from rotating. On all the IMOCA 60's I've seen with rotating masts/outriggers for shrouds, they put the nav lights on the end of the outriggers or aft by the pushpits. Basically as far outboard as possible. Personally I like to have the lights out of my point of view from the helm. I find their contrast fatiguing late at night.

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I was planning to have the nav lights on the ends of the crossbeams at deck level on my Kraken 25 trimaran.

7. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Mr. Finn, pushing the nav lamps outboard makes good sense. I hated to turn them on years ago...but with all the wackos about not a good idea, I guess.

I figure the outboard lamps you suggest would pass muster on my rig, as the outrigger hull is about 80% the main hull so of size, and would be safer with lights out there as well as away from my eyes. Am still leaning toward the masthead though...but that has some drawbacks also.

Have to work it out, but have time, only -10 last night...going to 40+ in few days, heat wave.

Thanks.

8. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

On main hull separate port and starboard lights aft of the forestay and aft of any chocks, stern light on top of hull all the way aft or on transom, steaming or masthead light on mast well above eye level.
    I'm not a fan of tri-color nav lights at the masthead, I find them hard to see and they get lost in star clutter.

$0.02 :cool:

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

As long as the lights are not obstructed on the required angle of visibility, they can be installed anywhere. A bi-color on the bow would comply.

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I understand what you meant but I think you have not that good. The green light should go on starboard, can not, therefore, be placed anywhere.
    In addition, larger vessels of 20 m is prohibited sidelights (green and red), may be combined in one lantern.

11. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Thanks! Starclutter!

Never ever thought of that, but then I was sailing on Minnetonka or Lake Mich and were not so dark, but makes excellent sense.

Of course, the lights on those boats were stock...

I still don't get why lights would be aft or near beams...why not up front each hull, so tramps and gear do not cover by mistake?

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The USA allows bi-color lights on the bow for boats of 18 feet. However, the outrigger may obscure it.

13. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I always say the big drawback of rotating masts is that you cannot use tricolours. I prefer them as I find spi sheets and other ropes catch on deck lights, even with angled deflectors under them. And of course they can be seen by others.

I usually fit a bicolour at the foot of the mast where it is out of the way. Its also much easier to wire, as so much wiring goes up the mast anyway. Taking wires out to pulpits is a nightmare to hide and they corrode /chafe easily. But I only use it when motoring and entering harbour, so the jib is furled. I agree, most people look ahead in harbours, not up, so the deck level light makes sense

I believe you can legally fit offcentre lights. Also you don't need any light if under 7m and going less than 7 knots. A torch will do then

Richard Woods

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A torch will do in the UK. In the US you'll need a flashlight.

15. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Good One! I dig...shorter word.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.