navico stuff

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by kim s, Oct 11, 2009.

1. kim s

kim s Junior Member

Ok, heres one for the techy boys,

Ifound on aboot sale, a settof UNUSED navico sys200 wind instruments.
    the speed and direction, closehauled meter and a vmg meter with the fluxgate compass. there is a compass head unit thathas been used with the fluxgate, but all the wind stuff is new.

Heres the kicker------- NO Mast head unit.

I was told stick the stuff in your car, if you get it going we ill come to sum arraingment if not give it me back.

I have found that Navico has been brouht by SIMRAD and dont support any of the old stuff.and from what I read are fairly unhelpfull (UK anyway)

Has anybody out there managed to find another head unit that works with the kit.

I am not even sure weather the Navico stuff requires a straight pulse input from the speed or is it an NMEA out put. from the head unit.

Any ideas would beusefull as it seems a shame to bin this kitfor the sake of a head unit.

Kim

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

It is the other way round! Navico owns Simrad (and other brands like Lowrance), and they do support older stuff!

Contact them directly:http://www.navico.com/en/

Regards
    Richard

3. kim s

kim s Junior Member

Thanks for that Richard.

I am now slightly confused as on the Simrad site they show the old Navico stuff as discontinued and that no bits are available.
    Oh well --- thanks for the link.
    I will now Email them and HOPEFULLY !!! get a result.

Kim

4. kim s

kim s Junior Member

navico stuff help still

.Well I contacted Navico and guess what------completly useless.
    "no sir" ----"But you could buy a whole new system"---- "no nothing you have can be used with any other".----- No I have no idea how the system worked. No--- I dont know any one here who will know. The only thing you could do is buy a new system. blah blah blah."

Ok If any one has a navico system- can some one try and find out if the out put from the wind speed is a pulse. and which of the the pairs from the head unit is the direction sensor and obviously the other is the speed.

I am going to see if I can find some thing that will work. looking on the net, al I can find is other people wanting a mast unit. it would be nice to stick 2 fingers up to these companys who leave us with a large bill just for a unit that would cost £100.:p

Kim

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thank you Kim! Nice to know of which quality their customer support is! I´ll check that, and if I do´nt get a better result they just managed to loose another customer (we install Simrad quite regularely).

Would you mind to specify the >>>navico sys200<<< a bit in detail?

Regards
    Richard

6. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

7. kim s

kim s Junior Member

Tim,

That is the wind intrument I have.also the close haul meter, the electronic compass, and the VMG Meter,
    As I said earlier, they are all as new and never been fitted.

Is not the fact they dont support the older units anymore. Heck the world does move on-----its just the lack of info, and knowledge from the company. And the "you really should be a whole new set of gear Sir" attitude
    I am sure that there MUST be some thing compatable with them. If only I could get the spec.
    I am fairly sure on talking with various experts that the wind speed should just be a hall effect pulse. ---thats the easy one. its the direction that is where it gets difficult.
    The other problem might be if they used the own language as They may have been designed before NMEA was standardised.
    Again, If the company could have told me then I would not be waisting my time and yours over this
    I am going to sett up a case with a small 12vbatt in and mount the wind direction so that I can take it round all my friends yacht and try and connect there head unit in to see if any work.

Tim I like the idea of the touch screen, but on my Tri I am re-building, I have a fantastic place for a sett of instruments. out the way, cant be stood on, but clearly placed for the driver. BUT not easy to get to,to alter screens, and also its shelterd from any weather, but still technically out side.so would only be happy for Min IP65 rated kit to be there.
    I am not totally certain whatsort of sytem you are talking about in OPEN PILOT, so now going to go and have a surf. might be bak in a few minuts waving a cheque book at you:) :)

kim

8. kim s

kim s Junior Member

wind system

Ok Just re-read through to see what I have babbled about and had not picked up on Richards request for more info on the sys 200

Richard if you follow the link the Tim put up, That is the system. well the wind bit any way. all the other bits have CH200, VMG 200 etc. but that is it.

Tim,

That OpenPilot is VERY interesting. Do you use it ? What UK charts are compatable with it? any problems using it with Linux.

I am currently using an Asus Eeepc, with Linux. Holly whatsits --it is quick! compared to windows
    The other really good bit is it runs on 12v. so no waisting precious wiggley amps haveing to invert up.
    I used to run an old laptop with a chart package on but that has long been a paper weight,I knew that Linux stuff is usually free, but could never find which uk charts would work. For America---no probs.-- but here in ripp off britain----OOOHHHH NO... min £140 ish pounds for a bit of coast line that takes only a day to sail out of. and if like me live near the cut off line that means "oooh yes Sir .another £140 please Sir. Thankyou Si"r.

right been up all night as i cant sleep. now have to go and earn some more folding beer chits.

HI HOOOOOOOO

kim

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

I was told they offer spec. pdf. sheets for download, even for the older series, that might be a way to overcome the prob. The vanes are definetily out of production.

Richard

10. stefan.b

stefan.b Junior Member

Yes. And no. The old British Navico was bought by Simrad in the late 90s. Simrad was (and still is) a devision of Kongsberg in Norway. Kongsberg sold the leisure department of Simrad two years ago to Altor, a swedish private equitiy company, that founded the new Navico by merging Simrad (the leisure department) with Lowrance/Eagle and the marine department of Navman (now Northstar). The Simrad-stuff for professionals is still manufactured and marketed by Kongsberg.

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

So ist es! Deshalb gehört Simrad zu Navico, nicht umgekehrt.

12. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Kim,

I'm the lead developer on OpenPilot. It is developed under Debian (Squeeze), so no probs with Linux. It is getting to a stage where I would be happy to have it on-board. At the moment the US chart support is good, and I'm trying to get C-Map CM-93/3 working for the rest of the world. Unfortunately C-MAP have not been particularly helpful so far, but I will persist. There is base coastline data available free, and this is handled. The idea is only to buy charts where you need them, and the rest of the display is good-quality coastline.

Drop me an e-mail if you wish to discuss it further. OpenPilot is Open Source software, and thus there is no charge.

Tim B.

13. kim s

kim s Junior Member

navico sys 200

Sorry to bring this old chestnut back BUT I might have a solution.

Is there ANY-ONE who has this kit thats working?

Or does any-one know of some-one with this kit, that might let you take a resistance measurment from the control box,no need to climpb the mast:p
    What I am requiring is the resistance of the pot that is on the wind direction.
    I have found that the system was/is an analogue signal, I have found a company that do direction sensors that are resistive. they have a 20k pot so will experiment once I have bought one.
    If some one could take a meter to one It will save me a lot of hassle

PLEASE HELP

Kim

14. Get-a-Life

Get-a-Life KenM

Navico/Navman/Northstar

Hi Kim,

Good luck with this junk.

I purchased the Navman 3150 wind intruments and they didn't even last 6 months. After a lot of screaming and shouting, many wasted hours of telephone calls and emails, eventually I gave up with the Australian distributor and went direct to New Zealand HQ.

Even then it was a battle but they sent a new display unit under warranty upon returning the old unit. Guess what? Yep, you guessed right, that was not faulty.

Another 3 months of going around in circles once again to try and get a replacement masthead unit. That is, I sent mine back and 3 months later they admitted to losing it, sorry we don't have any in stock, we will contact Australia and see if they can send you one.

Got it, fitted it and within 1 month it too began to give erratic readings, cleaned the contacts at the masthead and revived it for another month when it proceeded to die completely.

Have given up on the junk completely and installed ALL Raymarine instruments.

Incidentally, the speed log has never worked constistently either.

KenM

15. kim s

kim s Junior Member

navica crap

Hi Ken,

I have tried everything to get these working and no joy.
    I am going to file these in the round bin out in the back yard and move on with my life:D .

It does annoy me though the attitude of these big company's. and would love to get it working and then make the fix freely available just to spite them and annoy those who do make a replacement that cost twice the price of a whole new set up.

Oh well, might still leave this on the back burner.

Kim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.