Navigable Rivers (sea entry)

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Gents this is not a boat design / build question, this is a "cruising" question and i would like to know this from the BD.net folks point of view.

What are navigable rivers in your country where the sailor could come from afar and navigate from the sea, up river to the sights and places of interest in your country. Even if you haven't done this kind of trip before maybe it is on your wishlist, lets hear. London still has good inland cruising, so has New York, what do you know, where could one go, where not, what is relatively cheap, some yacht clubs offer free overnight berths for cruisers. Obviously there are limitations to overhead heights and depth, but i am talking about a 28 ft mono type of thing.

When i search around on other sites i find an abundance of "islands" palm trees and coconuts, all over scattered around the equator, but not really "older" stuff.

Two places are out :- Panama (way too expensive) Suez (down to Somalia)

I am hoping you can come up with the Americas, espescially Europe and Austral Asia.

Southern Africa doesn't have any, and Afrika in its totality you dont have to post, definately no interest there what so ever. And the whole of the India up to Yemen - Arabian sea and Bay of Bengal, thanks but no thanks i'll pass on those, aint going there never ever.

So what have you, i would like to read about interesting places, even Loch Ness, and in summer go and find the Vikings :D

2. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

You could probably spend years exploring all the potential sites in the Mississippi River Basin Source

Attached Files:

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

And the next years cruising from Turkey, to Romania, all way up to Amsterdam on the Danube, Canals, Main and Rhein, then the Baltic (not inland but a bit sheltered), and go back via the River Rhine and the French Canals to the Med!

Plan for 5 years to see the most interesting places only!

Regards
    Richard

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Mississippi was my first thought, then Amazon, then Yukon...But if Panama is too expensive, I'd stick to the Amazon.
    If you change your mind about expense...
    That Amazon is a nice trip but more dangerous than Alaska. Try Yukon via Norton sound (you can go all of the way to Whithorse Yukon Territory!). Perhaps a less ventursome journey would be the Wood-Tikchik state park via the Wood River at Dillingham, then the Naknek River to Katmai National Park and the valley of ten thousand smokes ('nother world), then Kvichak River to Iliamna Lake and overland, by trailer ($2,000) to Cook Inlet. Ever thinking of a trip to Alaska, that little trek (plan a summer, not including getting there) makes one wonder why ever go where a cruise ship might.(Alaska is a playground, the only danger is getting run over by incompetents and things you do to yourself).
    pvallismok.jpg

The Valley of 10,000 Smokes is the site of the world's largest volcanic eruption this century. Beginning on June 6, 1912, the volcanic eruption at Novarupta lasted 3 days. The ash cloud that resulted reached an altitude of 20 miles high and spread for thousands of miles, with sulfurous ash falling as far away as Vancouver, British Columbia and Seattle, Washington.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

I'm tracing Richard's reply and planning a "some day" there myself!

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

You´re extremely welcome Mark!

7. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

I think it’s a toss up in North America, between the St Lawrence seaway and the Mississippi river. You could go up the Mississippi and out the St Lawrence. It would take years to check out all it offshoots and you would see a lot of the U.S. and Canada.
    Gary:D

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Canadian inland waters can be quite appealing during the five months of the year when things are nice and warm.

The St. Lawrence takes you through some beautiful places, and the freighters there are confined to set speeds and narrow lanes. There's a wonderful taste of the Old World in Quebec City.

After enjoying a few days of vibrant Montreal culture, you can choose between the St. Lawrence seaway to Kingston, or the Ottawa River to the capital. From there, the 19th-century Rideau Canal can be transited in four to six days, taking you through dozens of inland lakes and traditional, manually-operated locks to Kingston.

A hundred or so miles to the west, the Trent-Severn Waterway takes you through to Lake Simcoe and Georgian Bay, including a couple of very impressive 19th-century lift locks that are still in operation. Both the Rideau and the Trent-Severn are well maintained and charted, and a nice, relaxing trip for just about anything under 7 metres wide and drawing up to 1.2 m, boards up.

Georgian Bay and, farther up, Lake Superior offer a great deal of rugged, pristine territory to explore, albeit with some daunting navigational and weather challenges- not for the feint of heart, but a challenging and rewarding voyage for the dedicated cruiser. One could easily spend an entire summer cruising this area and still only see a small fraction of it. A few days spent heading south from here gets you to American waters and the numerous access points to their extensive inland waterway system.

The "Great Loop"- the cruise I've just described, followed by a hop over to the Mississippi basin via southern Lake Michigan, along the Gulf coast and back up the ICW- is a year-long cruise of as much as 6,000 miles, certainly one of the more popular long-distance cruising routes.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you go up the Plata river between Argentina and Uruguay, you can take two routes. One up the Uruguay river where you can sail up several of the tributaries including the larger one , the Negro river. That is about 400 miles of cruising. The other, is the Parana river which takes you all the way up to Paraguay

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Oh wow, woke up for my early morning coffee and Google earth is spinning like a top ! :D

jeeez some cool stuff here guys BIG THANKS keep 'em comin ;)

11. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

In the northern Europe.. From North see to Baltic the Göta chanel, and from the Gulf of Finland loop to Saimaa :)

Attached Files:

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Attached Files:

13. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Kool Pericles

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

What's with the shovel, Pericles?

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Check out the Caloosahatchee River. You can go across the state of Florida from Ft. Myers to Port St. Lucie through Lake Okeechobee.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.