navico stuff

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by kim s, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Alan Thompson

Alan Thompson New Member

I know that this is a really old thread, but I just read it hoping to find the same answers that you were looking for.

I recently bought a small catamaran. It has a WD200 system that’s on the blink, I’m not sure whether it is the close haul meter, the mast head unit or something else. It would be interesting to know if you ever discovered if the masthead unit was sending analogue or NMEA for certain. If I still have a fully functioning mast head unit, it would be good to try to connecting it to one of your wind instruments, if you still have them?

Like you, I don’t want to have to install a whole new wind system, only because Navico/Simrad/whoever can’t be bothered to support their discontinued products!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is a decade old thread, which would suggest the questionable technology is at least this old as well. Likely time for an upgrade, rather than a problem patch.

3. Alan Thompson

Alan Thompson New Member

Thanks for responding. Yes - I’m already in the process of upgrading. It’s just a pity to throw out bits that may well be of use to somebody. Im not that keen on replacing the mast head unit, unless it’s absolutely necessary. I’m not really looking forward to going back up the mast!

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Climbing a mast isn't difficult, unless you have an issue with heights. It was found by the US Army, that 33' is the height that most will "lock up" and freeze if asked to step off something. They took dozens of recruits and made them climb a ladder. At 25' many got pretty nervous. At 30' most, that would have an issue, did have an issue, so the made the jump towers for airborne training at 33'. I made it through airborne training, but now have an issue around 25', if on a ladder. I guess the decades have whittled my tolerance down a tad.

Yeah, it's a sin to have to toss old electronics, but a nature of the beast. Think of it this way, would you prefer to still be working on a computer built 20 years ago or maybe something more modern?

5. Blanko

Blanko New Member

Hi Alan, long shot here but did you ever upgrade your wind instrument? I am looking for a navico wd200 masthead unit and wonder if your old one is kicking around in your garage. Will pay good money for one! Thanks Andy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.