Naval project that needs lots of help!

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by depthofit, Oct 9, 2008.

1. depthofit

depthofit Junior Member

Hi, i am a student doing diploma in marine engineering in Singapore and for my final year project, my team have decided to build a simple catamaran model of about 60 cm and put it under a series of test to best estimate the values for the real one which is 6m and runs on an electric engine.(We are not going to build the actual one)

After some readings and suggestions from another forum, i have decided to incorporate a hydrofoil configuration into my model to increase the efficiency of the model. Since we most likely would not have access to any tank testing lab, we are trying to best simulate those test using other methods. We need suggestions on how to simulate them!! (we already have a basic outline of how the towing test is going to be carried out but we need more suggestions on other tests)

The actual boat is meant to travel in river and reservoir and there are no outrageous wind speed in my country. I hope to get some advise on the type of tests that i can conduct for my model to assess its stability, resistance and other aspects(preferebly a few more components to investigate) under different wind speed and water conditions(I am only naming what i can think of, so pls feel free to suggest). I believe a towing test is a must, what about a wind tunnel test? The conditions of the 2 occupants are important as well.

Regarding hydrofoils, i expect the actual boat to be cruising at 5-7 knots and max at around 10-12 knots. The model will be assessed under corresponding speed. Problem is i have completely no idea on how to build a hydrofoil and i have no previous boatbuilding experience either. The designing work before construction of the model is going to be very tough also. I plan to use balsa wood as the primary material for construction and after which epoxy will be coated to give it a smooth finish and also to protect the wood from the water. Correct me if i said anything wrong. Thnks!

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes my boy, you forgot to say PLEASE, and thanks in advance

3. depthofit

depthofit Junior Member

4. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

So what is it EXACTLY you need?

K9

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.