Naval Architecture Universities

Discussion in 'Education' started by mzurigasco, Oct 23, 2012.

1. mzurigasco

mzurigasco New Member

Hi I´m from Spain and I am 17 years old and next year I would like to study naval architecture, I would like to know wich are the best universities I don't care about the country they're in, but I preferred UK and USA
    Thanks to everyone I will appreciate your opinions

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Not Webb (maybe best in the world) unless he is a US citizen...terms of the deed.

Edit: apparently green card now.....http://www.webb-institute.edu/eligibility-and-requirements.html

5. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

6. mzurigasco

mzurigasco New Member

Do i have to be american to go to webb ?

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Yes, naturalized US citizen or approved resident alien. As above, see http://www.webb-institute.edu/eligibility-and-requirements.html.

You need to speak and understand american english very well to just survive at Webb as it is a 4 year only program with no grading curve. A minimum 75% (IIRC) score is required to advance. If you do not advance in any class you will asked to leave, even if you fall ill or are injured, with exceptions I bet you could count on one hand. ( I should know, as I had my leg shattered while playing intra-class sports but still had to pass to advance). As I have said before Webb is the best but it will leave you kind of warped. It teaches Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, not anything else.

See this thread from a few years ago...http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/education/webb-4879.html

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. masalai

masalai masalai

There is a fairly good program in Tasmania, Australia...

Have you done any "due-dilligence" as to the number of qualified NA's etc and employment opportunities likely in 3 to 4 years time and where, with whom and doing what... There seems to be a dirth of unused shipping sitting around the world - Just look at some marinas in the "personal recreation classes", bulk commercial, tankers, containerised and so on sitting around looking for work or headed for the break-up "yards" around India...

9. davisjam

davisjam Previous Member

I hope I get to go to New Orleans

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.